Optoma 3D-XL 3D - general chat, orders etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
ouch! $399?! you could sell your HD65 or above for at least £300 and spend the same money upgrading to a 600x or above!

Shame theyve made no mention of the hd200x though :(
Wait...stop the bus!

Before we all go selling our HD65's, we may not need to...

Now I could be totally wrong here (and quite often I am) but this article says its compatible with 'legacy' 720p projectors with 120hz refresh rate. If I remember correctly, the HD65 is 120hz, obviously 720p as well so maybe there's life in the old dog yet:D

My spirits have been lifted this morning by reading this - just have to wait now for someone to come along and say it won't work;)

Grangey.

Wait...stop the bus!

Before we all go selling our HD65's, we may not need to...

Now I could be totally wrong here (and quite often I am) but this article says its compatible with 'legacy' 720p projectors with 120hz refresh rate. If I remember correctly, the HD65 is 120hz, obviously 720p as well so maybe there's life in the old dog yet:D

My spirits have been lifted this morning by reading this - just have to wait now for someone to come along and say it won't work;)
yyyeaaaa but thats what im saying. they have released this basically for the HD65 and similar. But you have to pay $399 for the liberty of the conversion (i expect it will be around £200+ in the UK). So what I am saying is you can buy a brand new hd600x which is 3d ready supposidly out of the box for £500. HD65s still sell second hand for around the £300 mark, so rather than spending the £200+ on upgrading your old projector, you could simply sell the hd65 and buy a new model (which in theory should offer a better picture) for the same overall price and also save you having a bolt on box.

I dont have one but just a thought as I was looking into the HD65s and researching this whole 3D box and im really surprised at the steep price of it. If it was £100 or something then fair enough, but that seems alot of money to me

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
yyyeaaaa but thats what im saying. they have released this basically for the HD65 and similar. But you have to pay $399 for the liberty of the conversion (i expect it will be around £200+ in the UK). So what I am saying is you can buy a brand new hd600x which is 3d ready supposidly out of the box for £500. HD65s still sell second hand for around the £300 mark, so rather than spending the £200+ on upgrading your old projector, you could simply sell the hd65 and buy a new model (which in theory should offer a better picture) for the same overall price and also save you having a bolt on box.

I dont have one but just a thought as I was looking into the HD65s and researching this whole 3D box and im really surprised at the steep price of it. If it was £100 or something then fair enough, but that seems alot of money to me
I see what you were thinking however the whole thing about optoma's 3D ready projectors is that they don't work with Sky HD, Blu-ray 3D so they will also need this adapter.

If you buy the 600, hd66 or whatever, you will still need the $399 adapter (unless your going the PC route for 3d) so what I'm saying is - rather than buy a 3d ready PJ for £5-600 and then several more hundred on the adapter - keep you HD65 and just spend on the adapter and your good to go for 3D.

There has been lots of talk recently about whether the HD65 could be used for 3D and most have come to the conclusion that it sadly won't - this may change things (or may not:):rolleyes:)

Grangey.

ah that makes sense. I havnt looked much in the the H66 but i assumed from the fact they are marketed as "3d Ready" they would have this board integrated. I had also heard that you couldnt get sky hd etc to work too so wasnt sure if this box was simply there to make the HD65 the same as the HD66 for example, or whether its 3D capabilities go beyond that of the newer models. If it is a step up then completely agree my previous statements are invalid!

jaydoy

Novice Member

I see what you were thinking however the whole thing about optoma's 3D ready projectors is that they don't work with Sky HD, Blu-ray 3D so they will also need this adapter.

If you buy the 600, hd66 or whatever, you will still need the $399 adapter (unless your going the PC route for 3d) so what I'm saying is - rather than buy a 3d ready PJ for £5-600 and then several more hundred on the adapter - keep you HD65 and just spend on the adapter and your good to go for 3D.

There has been lots of talk recently about whether the HD65 could be used for 3D and most have come to the conclusion that it sadly won't - this may change things (or may not:):rolleyes:)
ah that makes sense. I havnt looked much in the the H66 but i assumed from the fact they are marketed as "3d Ready" they would have this board integrated. I had also heard that you couldnt get sky hd etc to work too so wasnt sure if this box was simply there to make the HD65 the same as the HD66 for example, or whether its 3D capabilities go beyond that of the newer models. If it is a step up then completely agree my previous statements are invalid!
I myself owned a HD65, but then purchased a HD66 after a Optoma technician confirmed that a HD65 will not display 3D. I think there was a actual way of it doing so with a firmware update, but Optoma never went down this route. Also the lumens is not bright enough really for 3D on the HD65. HD65=1600 lumens, HD66=2500 lumens, in 3D mode there is a significant drop on the HD66 to 660 lumens, so how low it would be on the HD65 I would not know.

Grangey.

Theres one thing i dont get.

They claim the box will be "compatible with 14 projectors in our range"

So in their current range there is about 6, outside of this there will have to be the HD66, which means 7... where the hell are the other 7 comming from? Could this not surely mean the hd65/ 200x/ hd20 are surely to be included on the compatible models? Or will optoma release another 7 projectors before this is released next year?

jaydoy

Novice Member
Theres one thing i dont get.

They claim the box will be "compatible with 14 projectors in our range"

So in their current range there is about 6, outside of this there will have to be the HD66, which means 7... where the hell are the other 7 comming from? Could this not surely mean the hd65/ 200x/ hd20 are surely to be included on the compatible models? Or will optoma release another 7 projectors before this is released next year?
They have various models across the globe, Home Theatre Models, Business Models, Education Models, I am sure it is compatible with a range across them. I don't think this converter is compatible for the HD65, as the HD65 was never sold as a 3D Capable projector, only if the unit is tried out on the HD65 will we know, but like I said, Optoma informed me the HD65 is not 3D compatible.

Grangey.

Yeah ive also read that they have stated the hd200x isnt either, but it still begs to question in my mind how one of the best 1080p budget projectors thats been out a number of years, has yet to be replaced with a newer version, whilst the hd65 and equally massive success, has been replaced twice. That for some reason is my glimmer of hope as they maybe thought not to improve on the hd200x and to release this box for it too. Its optomistic and unlikely but we can hope!

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Yeah ive also read that they have stated the hd200x isnt either, but it still begs to question in my mind how one of the best 1080p budget projectors thats been out a number of years, has yet to be replaced with a newer version, whilst the hd65 and equally massive success, has been replaced twice. That for some reason is my glimmer of hope as they maybe thought not to improve on the hd200x and to release this box for it too. Its optomistic and unlikely but we can hope!
Yeah, I'm on that 'lets hope' bandwagon right now. TBH, I was thinking about putting my HD65 on the classifieds this weekend but I'll wait a while until we find out more.

I'm going to pop over to Optoma's facebook page which has updates from the Cedia show - I'll report back if I find anything...

grrrr! found nothing...

Last edited:

cyberheater

Optoma page about it here:-

Optoma DLP Projector 3D-XL

3D-XL Specification

Native Resolution 720p 1280 x 720

I/O Inputs:
Input: 2x HDMI 1.4a (HDCP) - audio supported
Outputs: 1x HDMI 1.3 (HDCP) - audio supported, 3-PIN mini DIN (VESA Sync)
Control: 9-pin RS232

3D Support 3D:
Playstation3 games, 3D Blu-ray, 3D Broadcasts (SKY in the UK)

3D Viewing Requires DLP-Link shutterglasses - supplied

3D Compatibility Side-by-Side:
1080i50, 1080i60
Frame-pack:1080p24, 720p50, 720p60
Over-Under: 1080p24, 720p50, 720p60

Grangey.

Optoma page about it here:-

Optoma DLP Projector 3D-XL

Native Resolution 720p 1280 x 720
thatl probably mean anything from the hd200x/hd20 above is out then! its probably to do with lumens to be fair, if theres a high demand for them on the hd66/67 then it may be that their 1080p models can cope with 3d as it stands as theyre not bright enough. oh well!

cyberheater

thatl probably mean anything from the hd200x/hd20 above is out then! its probably to do with lumens to be fair, if theres a high demand for them on the hd66/67 then it may be that their 1080p models can cope with 3d as it stands as theyre not bright enough. oh well!
It's only going to support 3D capable projectors. Hd200x/hd20 etc... aren't 120hz 3D capable. I think it's a matter of hdmi bandwidth.

yvolee

Novice Member
Hiya Peeps. Havnt posted for ages but seen this and had to.
Seen this gizmo last night! WoooHooo! As its says on the site a full list list of compatible projectors will be posted there soon. I'm using a HD720x at the mo which on specs sheets says it copes with 120hz which I've heard is interplorated but I live in the hope that this box of tricks may do some technical magic and make it work! I wish anyway. If not lets face it chaps were probably looking at way over a grand to get the whole set up with this thing especially if you have a wife kids who love watching movies on the projector too, as everyone seems to be forgetting that were going to have to get the optoma glasses for it to work too which dont come cheap, forgive if anyones mentionend it before. So I reckon unless you will be getting the Sky 3d service the PC option is still the way to go, unless your on megabuck of'course. And if so, buy me one!

jaydoy

Novice Member
Is this going to work with the acer h5360?
Really can't see why not, if a Projector is 3D capable, and has HDMI inputs, then I am sure this will work on them, brings in more money for Optoma, supplying a product, that will be compatible with other makes of projector. :)

JonStatt

I really do hope so.
Didn't Mitsubishi come up with a convertor specifically for their own DLP TVs that looked at the EDID and refuse to work with any other manufacturer of TV?

I would think Optoma would not do this kind of thing...but its not impossible that they could stop it working with the Acer projector.

jaydoy

Novice Member
Didn't Mitsubishi come up with a convertor specifically for their own DLP TVs that looked at the EDID and refuse to work with any other manufacturer of TV?

I would think Optoma would not do this kind of thing...but its not impossible that they could stop it working with the Acer projector.
They possibly could, but it would make more sense for them not too, so they will sell more boxes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt

Trending threads

Latest News

Sky comedy panel shows back to film new series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches MagniFi 2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung pulls out of IFA 2020?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th June 2020