Optoma 144x projector not filling up view area with output image. Signal and projector are 1080p

adams89

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just recently joined the world of projectors, and I am so very impressed thus far.
I purchased an Optoma 144x 1080P 3200 ANSI Lumens projector and the quality is fantastic.
One big issue however, is I am unable to maximise the use of the projection area.

Here are some details on my set up:

1. The resolution of the projector is 1920 x 1080.
  2. I am driving the projector as a secondary/extended display using my PC
  3. My PC is outputting a digital resolution of 1920 x1079 as the active signal
  4. Projector is connected to my PC via a HDMI cable
  5. Projector has been configured to 16:9 aspect ratio
  6. Graphics card GTX 1080 Ti, Nvidia Control Panel, Windows 10

Problem

The image displayed by the projector is fine, 16:9, but it is not utilising the entire area projected, there is a 4 inch black bar all around the displayed output from the PC.
Initially this was even worse, the black bars were bigger when I set the resolution of the PC HDMI signal to 1920 x 1080.

But I found a hack by forcing a custom resolution of 1920 x 1079, the image got larger, but still maintained sharpness. The image looks 1080p to my eyes, just still some black bars around the image wasting space.
I get about 80 inch projected image at the moment, when it could be 88 inches at least, of viewable image.

The projector has a test grid which is can display so you can center the projector on the wall. And the grid is bigger than the output image from my PC. This is annoying me because the Projector is 1080P native and I am outputting 1079P active signal from my pc.

Im stuck? Any ideas? Fiddled for hours

Make sure scaling is off from the pc and projector. OS and NVCP.
Double check the resolution.

Select extended display in the OS so each display can be configured independently.

Select 16:9 format is all options, including projector.

What is the distance from lens to wall?
Is the projector level, parallel to the floor?

Make sure scaling is off from the pc and projector. OS and NVCP.
Double check the resolution.

Select extended display in the OS so each display can be configured independently.

Select 16:9 format is all options, including projector.

What is the distance from lens to wall?
Is the projector level, parallel to the floor?
Have you looked at the edge mask setting on the projector, that shrinks the image down on my Optoma projector, mine defaults to 1 it needs to be on 0 to fill the screen properly

Hi Guys, the distance from the wall is 10 feet, which is giving my 82 inches of screen.

The test grid is also 82 inches, I previously stated the grid was bigger than the projected output but I made a mistake.

However there are still black bars all around.

The PROJECTOR is configured to 16:9 as is the input signal from the PC, and the projector has been selected as an extended display for the PC so that it can be configured independently.

Not sure what the black bars are... some kind of projector mask or outline?

Edge mask setting is OFF on the projector or set to "0"

Hi Guys, the distance from the wall is 10 feet, which is giving my 82 inches of screen.

The test grid is also 82 inches, I previously stated the grid was bigger than the projected output but I made a mistake.

However there are still black bars all around.

The PROJECTOR is configured to 16:9 as is the input signal from the PC, and the projector has been selected as an extended display for the PC so that it can be configured independently.

Not sure what the black bars are... some kind of projector mask or outline?

Edge mask setting is OFF on the projector or set to "0"

Some models have a grey edge bars, but not 4 inches.

Is the distance exactly 10' from lens to screen? Distances are calculated from the lens to whatever projection surface.
Is the diagonal exactly 82"?

Check the scaling from NVCP and the OS.

Disconnect the HDMI and use the pattern that way.

Some models have a grey edge bars, but not 4 inches.

Is the distance exactly 10' from lens to screen? Distances are calculated from the lens to whatever projection surface.
Is the diagonal exactly 82"?

Check the scaling from NVCP and the OS.

Disconnect the HDMI and use the pattern that way.

The diagonal of the image projected at 16:9 is 82 inches, and from the lens to the wall where image is projected is approx. 10 Feet, as measured by tape... I can check again

I suspect the image from the PC is being underscanned, I should be getting more than 82 inches based on calculations of the throw ratio for the Optoma 144x

I'lll try looking at the Nvidia panel again and see what I can achieve with the scale settings because I have fiddled with them previously.

The diagonal of the image projected at 16:9 is 82 inches, and from the lens to the wall where image is projected is approx. 10 Feet, as measured by tape... I can check again

I suspect the image from the PC is being underscanned, I should be getting more than 82 inches based on calculations of the throw ratio for the Optoma 144x

I'lll try looking at the Nvidia panel again and see what I can achieve with the scale settings because I have fiddled with them previously.

Also try the pattern without any hdmi connected.

Also try the pattern without any hdmi connected.

Tried everything as suggested, best I could get was 83 inches from 315 centimetres away.

Black bars still exist, just have no clue what is causing it. Must be a projecter feature. Guess it will have to do!

Calculator says I should be getting 87 - 96 inch diaganol based on throw ratio for 144x

Tried everything as suggested, best I could get was 83 inches from 315 centimetres away.

Black bars still exist, just have no clue what is causing it. Must be a projecter feature. Guess it will have to do!

Calculator says I should be getting 87 - 96 inch diaganol based on throw ratio for 144x
'Send it back if it's possible, it does not fit specifications.

I am sure there is a an option in Nvidia control panel that shrinks the image this may be where the problem could be, I think it's sits within the scaling options

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom