Options for replacement Projector < £2k

badmanj

Standard Member
So my old projector's bulb finally blew.

Sanyo PLV 22000. I've had it quite some time!

The bulbs cost around £170 - but I think it's probably time to replace instead.

Been looking at the options; seems the Epson EH-TW7400 or TW9400 are good choices, then a friend told me how good the Optoma range is, and I should consider something like the UHD65 or even the 51.

And reviews of the BENQ W2700 seem good too!

I'm totally stumped as to the best choice - wondering if anyone here has strong opinions?

My situation: It's in my lounge, so some ambient light. Onto a high quality screen. Projector sited about 4 metres away on top of a custom unit at the back of the room.

Mostly for Cinema, not so bothered about gaming. Sound is via an amp so don't need sound in the projector. Connection via HDMI so not really bothered about wireless, since I've heard, anyway, that it tends to be poor.

I use Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV (have a 4K unit). All of this is wired connection.

Any thoughts?

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I’ve had benq, Sony and optoma before and auditioned the optoma uhd65 when I was about to replace my projector last time. The epson 9400 looked way better. If you can push the budget get that one is my advice. If not the 7400 is probably alright, never seen that one in action though.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
9400 new or 9300 old
w/ambient light, the lumens of the 2 above will shine imo

Broadsword

I’ve a Sanyo z2000, replaced the bulb in the summer and it’s still going strong, cost about £110.

The benq is a loud pj though, you have likely been spoilt in that regard with the Sanyo.

badmanj

Standard Member
Thanks guys! Ordered the 9400. Wife will no doubt kill me but as we all know, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission with these things!

Looking for 3D Glasses now - does anyone have a recommendation here? Better to stick with the official ones, or are the third-party alternatives just as good?

alebonau

Thanks guys! Ordered the 9400. Wife will no doubt kill me but as we all know, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission with these things!

Looking for 3D Glasses now - does anyone have a recommendation here? Better to stick with the official ones, or are the third-party alternatives just as good?
congrats !

in glasses the xpand x105 I have found to be just fine... I wouldn't bother spending more on "official ones" chances are they are made by the 3rd party anyways :) i got my xpand from amazon quite cheaply ...

badmanj

Standard Member
congrats !

in glasses the xpand x105 I have found to be just fine... I wouldn't bother spending more on "official ones" chances are they are made by the 3rd party anyways :) i got my xpand from amazon quite cheaply ...
Thanks - I ordered and just received a couple of pairs of these - work well!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom