1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Options for PC-based digital TV?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by tjobbins, Jan 1, 2005.

1. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of PC-based solutions for digital TV.

I've seen the Sweetspot modified Sky receivers that allow me to run a digital signal from Sky into my PC, for output to a projector or plasma. But I assume this is simply a video signal, i.e. it does not allow the PC to control Sky in any way, and the digibox is still used for that.

Is there any solution that would allow me to have a PC-only setup, i.e. I could choose channels, view the TV guide, pause/record to HD, all from my PC with no digibox required (or the digibox not being used for control, anyway)

Ideally this would be for Sky, but just Freeview might be ok too.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

2. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use the Nebula Digi TV pci freeview board installed within my pc. This has more and better functions than any other stand alone digi box.

3. tomleeeee

tomleeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i had a Windows based PC i used a Hauppauge Win-TV USB device. I had the freeview version which would simply save the mpeg2 broadcast direct to my hard drive. I'm sure they do a sky model, it might be worth checking out www.hauppauge.co.uk :) Hope that helps!

4. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I don't think Sky will let anyone else make recievers or cams that can use a Sky card :thumbsdow

5. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Had a Hauppauge which I would not recommend but would definitly recommend the Nebula, I have had it for ages now and am still pleased with the continually updated/improved software.

6. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys!

Have checked out both Hauppauge and Nebula and Nebula does look nicer.

One thing I can't work out from the info on their site is the remote control support - how does this part of it work? I plan to have a HTPC for playing music, watching DVDs, and watching TV. This will therefore involve three separate pieces of software, all requiring remote support. Does Nebula have its own remote control sensor, and/or does it work with a third party remote control system?

Thanks again

Tom

7. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    The Nebula I bought has a remote sensor and a standard all-in-one remote. You can even use it to control windows events.