1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Options for new laptop or new desktop+old laptop+Showcenter 200??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dean randle, Aug 3, 2005.

1. dean randle

dean randle

Jan 9, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    UK (Bromley)
    I currently have a Panasonic laptop which I bought in Singapore about 4 years ago. It is a celeron 600 with a dvd drive, and a max 192(?) ram installed. This is starting to feel as though it is coming to its end, and not worth upgrading any further (eg wireless card, external dvd writer).

I was thinking about a new laptop (eg Dell 9300 or a Toshiba Qosmio) as I have a home cinema set up, and as I'd love to have a computer with enough grunt to play some high definition stuff, thought one of those would be great.

I am also toying with the alternative idea of getting a desktop pc with the power and dvd burners etc and a decent enough graphics card (with dvi), to hide in the cupboard, and then either get a cheap wifi laptop (or get a pcmia wireless card for my current laptop to browse the internet etc).

Another potential option is getting one of the wireless network players, eg Showcenter 200, to enable easy connection to all display devices, and play all audio/video files wirelessly.

I currently have NTL broadband connected by USB to my laptop, and one of my main concerns is how to connect a laptop and pc to share the broadband connection easily (and wirelessly).

As far as budget is concerned, a pc for around £500 max, or if a new laptop is a better solution, about £700? Please let me know if these figures are unrealistic.

Any advice, as usual, will be gratefully received.