1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Options for editing/saving

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by charlie_d, Dec 6, 2004.

1. charlie_d

charlie_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Have decided to buy a mini dv camcorder, but am not sure what my options are as far as editing and saving the footage I record are.

I have a laptop with alot of hard drive space and a firewire port and I have ordered a firewire cable with the camcorder. Only thing is that I dont have a dvd writer. I am wondering what my options are if I dont buy one? Are my options basically to watch and record footage to vhs via the tv or is it possible to record as vcd through the PC? Also another question I have just thought of is what does the +/- DVDRW mean if you do think i need the DVD writer?

Also will the free XP software be enough for basic editing and is it possible to use editing from it to make DVDs?

Sorry for the dumb questions!

Charlie

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Forget VCD, waste of time. The quality will be very poor compared to the originals.

VHS will be marginally better and this and viewing on your HDD will be your only options.

Recommend you get a DVD Writer and put it all on DVDs via the firewire route.

Yes the Movie Maker Software that comes free with XP should suffice for basic editing.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    Agree that VCD is poor quality and I doubt you will be satisfied with the results.
    An external DVD burner is by far your best bet and you should be able to get one for well under £100. All the editing can be done with Movie Maker but this program can not create the DVD. For that you will need to get a DVD authoring program such as Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 that can be bought from around £25. A free 30 day trial download from www.ulead.co.uk is available to try it out before you buy.

Be aware that video capture via firewire will take loads of disk space. You say you have plenty, but to capture a 1 hour tape will take up around 14Gb of space and you will still need plenty more for editing and file conversion. If you have around 30Gb or more then that will be enough, otherwise you may need to add an external firewire HDD as well.

Good luck,
    Mark.

4. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    One thing not covered in the other replies is the +/- stuff. Simply put, these are just two different formats backed by different companies in much the same way VHS & Betamax did battle in the eighties. I think that most PC DVD writers are multi format anyway, and incredibly many economy players are coming up multiformat too. (I even saw in Argos a +/- DVD recorder for less than £50!!!) What you will need to ensure however is, if you intend to play your newly created Spielberg blockbusters on your DVD player that it can handle your selected format.
    If you do buy a multi-format reader, it will automatically detect what type of disc you insert (+/-) and churn out your recording on that.
    If you are unsure of the R/RW, R is write once then you are stuck with it (you can delete but you do not recover any disc space) and RW is the equivelent of a tape that can be re-used to copy over an existing recording. There is the latest format to be released, duel layer discs which hold twice as much data, (and cost 10 times the price for discs!!!) :mad:

5. charlie_d

charlie_d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your replies, looks like I may be asking santa for a DVD writer, ulead and an external hard drive as well as the camcorder! No doubt you will be hearing from me again in the new year when I try to get all this stuff working!

Charlie