Options for Blu-Ray to SD TV

GazH

Hi All,

Starting to get problems with my DVD player (Pioneer DV-575a) as it either takes ages to load some DVD or (as with Skyfall over the weekend) just doesn't recognise it.

I updated to firmware 2.13 but no luck :(

So, I have been looking around and think the best option, if I upgrade, would be to get a Blu-Ray player to future proof until for when I get a HD TV (current TV a Panny 37PE30).

The player that seems to fit into my budget with best features seems to be a Sony BDP-S490.

This only has a HDMI out (not surprisingly) but the best my TV will take is component.

Have seen some cables that do HDMI->component but these just don't work and have also seen HDMI->component converters but these can be expensive.

So, what options do you think I have? Maybe other players? alternative ways to connect?

Unfortunately the option I don't have at the minute is upgrading my TV.

Many thanks in advance

Gaz

I think upgrading your TV is the only one thing that needs to be done to fix the issue as you have tried everything, but nothing is working. If it is not possible to upgrade your TV, then perhaps you need to contact their service team to help you out.

GazH

I think upgrading your TV is the only one thing that needs to be done to fix the issue as you have tried everything, but nothing is working. If it is not possible to upgrade your TV, then perhaps you need to contact their service team to help you out.

Hi maryancell001,

Thanks for the reply.

So, if I bought a Blu Ray player are there any options for me playing it through my TV using Component?

Many thanks

Gaz

mentm

Some older players had component, but they haven't been included for a number of years, and they would only output 480p. Other option you have is something like the hd fury which converts the video and are expensive.

GazH

Some older players had component, but they haven't been included for a number of years, and they would only output 480p. Other option you have is something like the hd fury which converts the video and are expensive.

Yeah, thought that may be the answer :(

Outputting at 480p is fine, would just like to be able to use my current TV until it "expires" :)

Thanks for the replies

Gaz

FieldDE

Standard Member
PS3?

Component cable from the multi-out, then HDMI when you get a new TV. Also gives you playback from USB drives and media servers, plus iPlayer/4OD/Lovefilm/etc.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
The player that seems to fit into my budget with best features seems to be a Sony BDP-S490.

This only has a HDMI out (not surprisingly) but the best my TV will take is component.
If it's only for a temporary arrangement pending new TV, I'm certain that the composite video output on the BDP-S490 would provide a signal compatible with the inputs on any SD TV.
Terminals

HDMI Output 1 (Rear)
Component / Composite Video Output 0 / 1(Rear)
Coaxial Audio Output / Analog Audio 2ch Output / Analog Audio Output 1 (Rear) / 1 (Rear) / 1 (Rear)
Ethernet 1 (Rear)
Front/ Rear USB 1 (Front) / 1 (Rear)
From the online manual page 10, use the [1] LINE OUT (VIDEO) jack and the [6] LINE OUT (R-AUDIO-L) jacks
(or [7] DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) jack) to connect to the scart/video in on the TV (or audio in amp).

Last edited:

Wild Rumpus

Standard Member
PS3?

Component cable from the multi-out, then HDMI when you get a new TV. Also gives you playback from USB drives and media servers, plus iPlayer/4OD/Lovefilm/etc.

Yes, that's what I use, I was in the same position as the OP - It works fine!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom