Question Options at the rear

tiberian9

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my front speakers (LR&C) to Monitor Audio Silvers and am now wondering what I can do to improve the back. My room is 2.5m wide and the sofa is pushed back against the rear wall so no room for speakers on stands. My current rears are JBL N24s mounted high up.

I have been experimenting with Atmos using the Onkyo up firing speakers I got with the receiver and the results are less than impressive. I am not sure if it is the fault of the onkyos or the fact I have my rears so high, but the soundstage just sounds very confused . So I thought I should try sorting out the rears before going any further with Atmos.

How can I lower the rears when they are so close to the listening position, would Bi-poles be the answer? I have read somewhere you cant use BiPoles in an Atmos setup, so should I drop the idea of an Atmos future and just get 5.1 as good as I can?

I have included a pic to show how little room I have to play with.

thanks

Attachments

• 20160411_073945.jpg
    20160411_073945.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
I would get the matching Silver FX speakers and mount those lower down. This should improve your 5.1 experience and can then try again with the upfiring Atmos speakers.

Thanks. I was hoping someone would say that, just looking for an excuse to push the button. Do you have an idea of what height I should be aiming at, just above head height or slightly higher? What about separation?

For Atmos they should be around head height but 5.1 would be 30cm above head height.

I got a pair of Silver FX today and have temporarily mounted them about 30 cm above ear height This has already resulted in a vast improvement over the old JBLs. Not sure if improvement is due to lowering the position or the fact they match the fronts better, maybe a bit of both, anyway I am happy. Once I have fine tuned the positions I will experiment with the Atmos again.

thanks for the help PSM1

FYI, the Silver FX manual says to mount them 2ft (~60cm) above ear height for 5.1 / 7.1.
(Although the diagrams in the manual do show some space between sofa and wall).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom