Optional playing question

Steve84

Novice Member
Hi everyone, this is a continuation question on something i am trying to wrap my head around. At the moment I stream purchased films through apple TV (which I think support Dolby vision but not hdr10+) to a denon avr x2500r which has the same support capabilities then to my LG TV (I don't know what that supports). Recently I have been thinking about buying a few select 4k HDR but would I benefit at all from this?
It would be playing through a Xbox series x which I known doesn't support either (I can't afford a dedicated player yet). Am I getting the optimal sound and picture through apple TV or would I gain from using a disc?
Any help would be appreciated

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Discs have better audio, such as DTS-HD MA and DTS:X, the Atmos on discs is not the same as Atmos on streaming.

Streaming uses DD+ as its "base" with overhead objects. This is just 5.1 surround sound and is a lossy codec.
An Atmos disc uses Dolby TrueHD as its base and is a lossless codec.

Discs have a much higher video bitrate than streaming, although Apple does have higher bitrates than most streaming competition.

Can you tell the difference?

I don't know what an Xbox will or will not play. I'm not a gamer. Dolby Vision is nice but I can't tell the difference between DV and basic HDR, maybe I could if I had 2 TVs next to each other, but I don't.
Is your TV able to show the difference?
That depends upon how large and how good it is as well as how critical you are.
The same applies to the audio. How good is your system, how many speakers do you have, how critical are you.

For most people Apple streaming is more than enough and cheaper than discs, but then most people have a TV that's barely HDR capable and maybe a cheap soundbar.

Steve84

Novice Member
Discs have better audio, such as DTS-HD MA and DTS:X, the Atmos on discs is not the same as Atmos on streaming.

Streaming uses DD+ as its "base" with overhead objects. This is just 5.1 surround sound and is a lossy codec.
An Atmos disc uses Dolby TrueHD as its base and is a lossless codec.

Discs have a much higher video bitrate than streaming, although Apple does have higher bitrates than most streaming competition.

Can you tell the difference?

I don't know what an Xbox will or will not play. I'm not a gamer. Dolby Vision is nice but I can't tell the difference between DV and basic HDR, maybe I could if I had 2 TVs next to each other, but I don't.
Is your TV able to show the difference?
That depends upon how large and how good it is as well as how critical you are.
The same applies to the audio. How good is your system, how many speakers do you have, how critical are you.

For most people Apple streaming is more than enough and cheaper than discs, but then most people have a TV that's barely HDR capable and maybe a cheap soundbar.
Thank you for that, I have what I think for me is a pretty good surround sound. Its 5.1, denon avr x2500r with kef egg speakers going to an LG tv which I made sure was 4k HDR, I am going to look what it supports later. I would like to add a couple more speakers but not sure how they would fit in to a relatively standard size UK living room. Roughly 6 feet sofa to TV.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
going to an LG tv which I made sure was 4k HDR

Unfortunately not all 4K TVs that claim to have 4K HDR are actually HDR capable. Most are only compatible and don't have the hardware to show HDR remotely well.
Only OLED TVs and higher-end LCDs are actually capable of this. It's a complete scam and so many people wonder what all the fuss about HDR is as they've never actually seen it on their "HDR capable" TV.

As to more speakers, my suggestion would be to go with Atmos speakers giving you 5.1.2 over 7.1
There are a number of options for this ranging from front height mounted speakers to overhead in-ceiling and others.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom