Option for connecting speakers ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ozthecoz, Feb 9, 2009.

1. ozthecoz

ozthecoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    So then i have the Amp (onkyo 576) and i have the speakers ( Kef 2005) and sub.

Big question is what do i need next lol ?

Obviously speaker wire, but how do i connect each end "proffesionally" ive heard the term banana plugs ( ? ) but , well what are they ?

also what what speaker wire do you reccommend ? dont wanna spend a fortune on wire but have dabbled with ICE before i am aware of the benefits of decent stuff.

Thanks, Dave

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Using banana plugs basically gives you push-in connections. If you don't have banana plugs, you'd screw the ends of the bare speaker wire onto the speaker or amp terminals. If you have banana plugs, you screw/bolt the cable onto them first, and then they simply push into the terminals.

Apart from being able to connect/disconnect the cables much easier - I have no idea if there is any other reason for using them (?)

3. ozthecoz

ozthecoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Cheers StevieBuck

Another query - a mate said its best to have ALL speaker lengths the same regardless of where the speakers are positioned. For example if the longest wire you use is 5m then even the centre speaker which is 1m away should be cabled with 5m of cable

Does this sound right ?

4. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    That is not necessary from a sound point of view. However, it is easier to sell on a matched pair if you ever change position of your speakers or upgrade and want to sell it on.

Graham

5. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,372
    I recently bought Van Damme blue cable from the powerbuy section of the forum. I had banana plugs fitted by Joe.

As you say, it's only for ease of connecting but most audiophiles will tell you that they are not necessary. I only got them because I never had them before and was curious. I don't notice any drop in quality.

6. ozthecoz

ozthecoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Cheers peeps

Im assuming that if i go the banana plug way they will fit onto my onkyo 2005's ok ?