Option 3 included Norton - do I have to use it?

shandypants

I only ask as it is giving me no end of problems in refusing to remove a trojan I've somehow picked up. I've started in safe mode and run a full sweep and it comes back clean, but within seconds of starting normally again it starts flashing up warnings over and over again. (I should say though that it has worked fine for the past 2 years).

Trouble is, with no disc to work from, I can't boot from CD and scan the HD from there - it's all part of the BT install AFAIK.

If I use a different software (such as Kaspersky) will it install without clashing with the Norton?

I know I could physically pull the drive and attach it to a PC elsewhere and scan it that way, but I've just got naffed off with Norton - it's a serious resource hog (adds ages to boot time) and it's not as highly rated as Kaspersky or others it appears.

If I can clear this bloody trojan and not have to spend dosh on Kaspersky than I will - but if needs must and all that...

Help!

Shandy

shandypants

Andy
Thanks for the info - I'll have a look when I get home tonight.

May I be cheeky and ask what software you use for AV / Spy+Malware etc?

Through some google-ing this afternoon it appears that Kaspersky and Eset are the two class leaders. We have ESET Nod32 at the office and it is so unobtrusive you hardly notice it!

Cheers

Shandy

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I use, and have used Norton Internet Security for years. I don't use the version that comes with BT Internet, and as it isn't even available to Vista customers I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Personally I have never had issues with Norton, and although some bash it as a resource hog, that is only if you try to run it on an under-powered system, and 2008 is the most efficient yet.

I would guess that there was an installation issue with the version that BT provided, which is likely cutdown anyway.

Apart from the occassional scheduled scan NIS is entirely automated, and I just leave it to update and scan on its own.

Frankly Norton and the like are not needed, they are serious overkill and heavily bloated (even the better versions).
Windows defender, Windows firewall, your routers firewall and a free anti virus like AVG or Avast is more than adequate. If you prefer buying something then buy an anti virus only package, the rest is usually a waste of time. Added to simple rules like only installing what you trust and not opening unexpected emails you will be quite safe.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Frankly Norton and the like are not needed, they are serious overkill and heavily bloated (even the better versions).
Windows defender, Windows firewall, your routers firewall and a free anti virus like AVG or Avast is more than adequate. If you prefer buying something then buy an anti virus only package, the rest is usually a waste of time. Added to simple rules like only installing what you trust and not opening unexpected emails you will be quite safe.

Windows Defender is frankly the most useless anti-spyware package I have ever seen, with spybot S&D coming a close second. I don't think Defender has ever found a threat on a computer ever, and it most certainly does not find Trojans which are the biggest security risk you will encounter as a intelligent internet user.

its far from the best thats for sure but it does work. Coupled with the rest i mentioned it is adequate. There is certainly no need to pay for anything. The worst of the worst infections dont get stopped by anything, and require specific removal tools or methods. I view internet security suites that cost up to £100 in some cases just as viral as the infections they are supposed to stop, the only difference is that they target your wallet not your data.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom