option 3 dreadful speed

B. Network Management

4. What is BT's policy on Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications?

P2P refers to certain applications that enable files and program sharing between groups of people logged on to a P2P network. Because they use uploads and downloads and are often left running 24/7, they consume significant bandwidth, even when being used by just a small number of customers. Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical, eg, downloading TV programmes or movies for later viewing, we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic at peak times. We manage these restrictions daily depending on the demands on the network, but typically they will be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend.

You can, of course, still use P2P services, but downloads will take longer during the peak times.

this is from the link you put above of the fair usage policy

it basically states that downloads of films etc are not important as are for later viewing (so not time critical)
other uses eg browsing the net etc is time critical (you want it as quick as you can) that should be unaffected

i think your best bet is tomorrow ring BT and say what is going on, you are not happy with it and would like an explanation

thanks Ned
in light of that if your bro downloads about 3GB per week then you are looking at 9Gb per month but lets call it 9.5 to give a bit of lee-way this means that accoding to Ned you are still under

first off ring and find out tomorrow why you are being punished if you are supposedly below the limit and if you get told what your current usage is and how much your allowed before you get capped then try downloading a network monitor to see how much you download a week

EDIT: it means you have unlimited downloads but that does not take into account the fair usage policy though you could use it as an argument that it should, you are paying more and not allowed to download that much though told you have unlimited downloads

Don't take what I said as being the same for yourself tho'... no harm ringing and asking what's what that's if there's anyone in the office tomorrow what with standstill Britain and 3 flakes of snow :D

Before the call the person I was ringing for was paying around £23 a month for BB upto 8Meg dunno what option that is???
Got them a great price cut down to £7.34 pm through asking for a mac to goto o2

Last edited:
ive had 4 over here, im in one of the worst hit place

that extra flake makes all the difference - kept me off college today and tomorrow

but yes OP you need to ring BT tomorrow and see what the low-down is

@ Ned ringing BT will be fine tomorrow anyway, its the local call centre in india dont forget

if my conection is alright in the morning tomorow (i will post a speedtest on this thread) i will not ring but if its like this then im gonna ring them also what time can ring anytime??

Telephone number
0800 111 4567
Opening hours
24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Please make sure you're at your computer and it's switched on when you call.

Calls to 0800 numbers are free from UK landlines. Mobile costs may vary. See BT Price List - Homepage for details. All calls made to BT or from BT may be recorded to help us give you a better service.

from the BT support website

thank you snipe i might give them a call later on tonight
aint got college tomorow so what the heck lol:clap::clap::clap:

how old are you? if you dont mind me asking

as i dont have college either tomorrow

ok, im 17 in march

what you studying at college?

im mainly doing construction plumbing and etc but mostly plumbing how about you???

maths, further maths, computing, chemistry and electronics

ye, im fairly into computers

probs wanna do computer science at uni after college

when u gonna give BT a call?

around 2 oclock i gotta download resident eveil 5 demo first :clap::clap::clap: lol but ill ring them then

the resi 5 demo is crap dont bother

its a shame your a PS3 person, 360 is better

lol thats why im so upset i tried to download it but it took for ever that why im gonna download it after 12.00

well i fell for the unlimited at a reduced rate to stop with them and most nights im getting speeds of this

its a disgrace unlimited should be unlimited and no throttling at peak times when i want to be on playing games and maybe downloading,

most other times im getting 6.5mb download speeds but i dont want to be up at 3 in the morning

i too am on unlimited and understand why for us it should be unlimited but some people would take it too far and just constantly download stealing bandwidth and making the exchanges busy

hey guys i got an enginer to come around he said my hub was faulty and im getting it replaced on monday thanks for the help guys:clap::clap::clap:

your hub was faulty?

thats a pretty good outcome do you have to pay anything for the call out or replacment?

what was the fault?

and what you think to the resi demo?

i havent been able to download no demo i want to download it and KZ2 demo but speeds to slow looool and also it didnt cost me anything the homehub was faulty i never broke it loool the engineer said its wireless is crap so im gonna download alot of crap after monday looool :clap::clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom