1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optio 550 or Canon S50?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wokeye, Oct 9, 2003.

1. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am thinking of changing my Olympus C4000 zoom for a smaller model. I bought the Olympus thinking I would really get into photography and buy extra lenses etc. However I have never bothered and the size of the camera is a an issue (not that bad) when I go on holiday etc. However it is an excellent camera and I have no problem with the superb image quality.

To replace it I was thinking of a 5MP compact camera, either the Pentax Optio 550 or a Canon S50 or maybe even an Olympus C50 as I really like Olympus camera's. At the moment I tend to be leaning towards the Pentax due to it having a large zoom lens (5x) and it is also slightly less bulky than the Canon (but the same size as the Olympus). I guess there are probably other models as I haven't researched it that deeply but these are three that come to mind. Anyone got any of these models or any advice please?

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I have just gone through that process. Dismissed the Canon immediately because of size. Really like the Optio 550 for size, looks and handling. It also got some very good reviews.
    I went in the end for a Sony DSC-P10, it is also 5mp but nearly £100 less. I do not regret it a single bit, the image quality is fantastic. Things that made me sway were:
    1. What do I get extra for my £100...
    2. A 5x optical zoom, my hands won't be steady enough to effective use that when you also take into account the slow shutter speed with digital camera's. Realistically you are not going to walk around with a tripod....

No thumbs up for the Sony for me...plus the AF assist lamp is great to snap in the dark....Also it has lots of capability and accessories like external flash option, whole raft of add-on lenses etc.....

Perhaps not really what you asked for, but as I just went through this process I thought I share my experience...

JP

3. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Ok thanks for the advice mate, I appreciate it. I will checkout the Sony and see what I think, thanks again :smashin: