Optimus 2X v Galaxy S2

douki

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be choosing between these two handsets when my contract comes up for renewal in April.

LG Optimus 2X (currently says 18th March on Expansys UK)

• 1Ghz dual core processor
  • 4 inches, 800 x 480 pixels
  • 8MP main, LED flash, Autofocus, 1.3MP front, 1080p @24fps
  • Android 2.2 - 2.3
  • 512MB RAM, 8Gb int, Micro SD up to 32GB
  • HDMI port
  • 1500 mAh battery
  • Dimensions: 123.9 x 63.2 x 10.9 mm, 139g
Samsung Galaxy S II (currently says 18th April on Expansys)
  • 1 GHz dual core processor
  • 4.3 inches SuperAMOLED+, 800×480 pixels
  • 8MP main, LED flash, Autofocus, 2MP front, 1080p @30fps
  • Android 2.3, TouchWiz 4.0
  • 1GB RAM, 16 or 32GB int, Micro SD up to 32GB
  • 1650 mAh battery
  • Dimensions: 125 x 66 x 8.5 mm, 116g
The S2 beats the 2X spec-wise however I'm sure it will be more expensive. I've also never owned a Samsung or LG phone before (currently HTC) so I'll have to see how the Android experience compares before I make a decision. Interesting that the dimensions are very similar despite the S2 having the larger screen.

Don't forget to factor in graphics chipsets into your decision making. I'll quite confidently say that dual core Android phones wont make much of a positive difference to the day-to-day experience and use until late this year, when software - OS, core and third party - has caught up and is able to take full advantage of it.

Android 2.2 onwards is quick enough on current processors, it's only in games and extremely graphical Apps that you see a real difference between any of the current top-flight phones. So if you're looking for dual core handsets in the hope that everything will feel improved and faster, don't think that the new processors alone will deliver this.

I agree that specs aren't everything, however I only get a new phone once every 18 months so I try and get the best available at the time. Looks like my contract renewal is timed quite nicely for the release of these phones :)

In that case you're doing the right thing. I say this many times... but if you're the type who keeps phones for the length of your contract, buying something that will still be relevant at the end of that contract is the way to go. That's not just hardware spec's, but the manufactures history of support and updates, too.

Specs aside I like the look of both phones and the physical appearance is quite important to me. I think the S2 just has the edge in this regard as well though.

I've spent a bit a time looking at youtube videos and without actually using them myself I think I prefer the interface of the Optimus 2X over the Galaxy S2. Also the hdmi port is a really nice bonus - check out the second video below!

Here is a good overview of the 2X's software (the guys voice is funny but I like the way he does the review), the only thing that concerns me is that the web browser looks a bit laggy so will have to look into that...

YouTube - LG Optimus 2X: Software Review

YouTube - LG Optimus 2X: Multimedia Review

Personally, I would run a mile from a Samsung handset of any description, for a number of reasons. Firstly, they are badly built. I had a Galaxy S, and it felt like a cheap toy. Sure it was probably sturdy enough, but it was nasty. Secondly, they are usually riddled with bugs. My Galaxy S had lots of glitches and bugs, and flashing new firmware seemed to be all I ever did to try and help. Some of the bugs eventually got ironed out, but not all the time, and in the end, the GPS still didn't work properly, it still randomly rebooted itself and there was many other bugs. Thirdly, their track record for updates is pretty poor - generally always late, and if you're lucky, you might get one android update before they abandon it. I remember when the Nexus S came out and all the Galaxy S owners were banging on about how they'd now get 2.3 before everyone else.... guess what? They're still waiting. I personally doubt it will ever get an official 2.3 upgrade - now they are concentrating on their new model. Finally, the software for connecting to a PC is appalling, it doesn't work half of the time and its just pure bloatware.

They don't even seem to have learned their lessons from the Galaxy S with the new Nexus S, I read so many complaints of stuttering performance and random rebooting.

The price they charge is a joke too - £649 is the price being stated for the S2. They must be having a laugh? I got my SGS when it came out and the RRP was £449. I sold it about 3 months later on here and got £230. So it halved in value in 3 months.

Seriously, I'd recommend you run a mile.

...the only thing that concerns me is that the web browser looks a bit laggy so will have to look into that...

That is a software problem that has been in Android since the very beginning, which no amount of horsepower is going to resolve. It needs to be corrected in the OS.

These two phones look awesome. The LG 2X seems slightly more pocketable and personally I'd prefer 4" or smaller screen; 4.3" is a little too big. Both might be difficult to operate with one hand though, especially texting.

But the Samsung S2 has that screen! It looks stunning and is getting rave reviews.

That is a software problem that has been in Android since the very beginning, which no amount of horsepower is going to resolve. It needs to be corrected in the OS.

Are you suggesting the jerkiness will still be there? It's so annoying. Android is so far behind Apple in this regard, it's smooth like butter in operation. I can't wait for user reviews to come out.

Last edited:
I can only assume so, since it's a fairly well documented 'issue' with Android that can be seen on pretty much all handsets. Many people don't notice or aren't bothered by it, others find it infuriating. Until it's resolved in the core OS it will continue affecting Android handsets, regardless of the horsepower.

Google something like 'Android Jerky Browser' for a read, if you're interested :)

I always thought it was something to do with the fact Android doesn't use the GPU to accelerate the GUI?

I always thought it was something to do with the fact Android doesn't use the GPU to accelerate the GUI?

thats the issue. altho that said, the current Galaxy S with the latest officia 2.2.3 firmware uses hardware acceeration in the browser and is buttery smooth, so hopefully the the GS2 may get that too

I am running a custom 2.2 ROM on my Orange SF and the browsing is smooth. It has hardware acceleration enabled. You don't get much cheaper than the SF so browsing can be smooth with Android.

Bit late to the party here... but yes, this is the problem and the solution is pretty simple. But it's something that has to be enabled at a fairly low level and, let's be honest, shouldn't require a custom ROM to resolve.

Expansys have changed their release date to June for the Galaxy S2, however I notice that Play.com have it down for end of March at £599.

Expansys have changed their release date to June for the Galaxy S2, however I notice that Play.com have it down for end of March at £599.

Also March 31st seems like a filler date i.e. they have been told its coming late March they just don't know when. Seems like its Galaxy S all over again, it will suddenly just be available in the UK, well before its available anywhere else.

Exactly the same thing just happened with the HTC Incredible S - no real warning then bam was available, it even shocked Carphone Warehouse as its staff weren't told it was available - and they are the only retailer (well and Best Buy) for the phone!

/edit: Also on the price front, it does seem maybe £50+ to high given the LG Optimus 3D is supposedly £85 cheaper, yet has all the 3D benefits / gimmicks; while only missing out on having 8GB instead of 16GB and not a Super AMOLED+ screen. The Galaxy S2 may be a hard sell to many of the public given the wow factor of 3D when combined with the price difference.

Last edited:
/edit: Also on the price front, it does seem maybe £50+ to high given the LG Optimus 3D is supposedly £85 cheaper, yet has all the 3D benefits / gimmicks; while only missing out on having 8GB instead of 16GB and not a Super AMOLED+ screen. The Galaxy S2 may be a hard sell to many of the public given the wow factor of 3D when combined with the price difference.

The screen sounds phenomenal. It's a big selling point.
3D is a gimmick. I don't know anyone who'd want that on a phone. I find it an annoyance and it hurts the eyes. It won't be sufficiently utilised in this generation of phones anyway.

The Galaxy S2 has MHL, which is HDMI and micro-USB in one aswell

Last edited:
The Galaxy S2 has MHL, which is HDMI and micro-USB in one aswell

really? that's very cool. I've been leaning towards the 2X recently due to the hdmi mirroring so if the S2 can do the same then it's going to make the decision harder. I'm put off by the negative comments about Samsung phones, but it's a much better overall spec... anyway still a while to go yet and will need to read all reviews/play with them in shop/ compare prices etc. £600 is a bit pricey and if accurate I can imagine 18 month contracts in the £40+ pm region which doesn't appeal.

Current listed prices for the S2 are around £540 and the 2X around £450. The 2X is down for 21st March release. Play has the S2 down for 6th May. I can't find much about what networks these phones will be on although Vodaphone has the S2 in their coming soon section. I'm hoping Orange will get at least one of these handsets as I don't want to leave... Exciting times I think you'll agree :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom