1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimum wall height for Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by candg, Sep 11, 2003.

1. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to wall mount my Panasonic Plasma. Viewing distance is between 2 and 3 metres. Any suggestions for optimum height of the panel on the wall ?

Graham

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the further back you go from the screen its ok to mount higher than if you nearer ,you dont want to be looking up at thing from 2 1/2 metre away. as nearer eye height as poss i would say.

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Eye level..!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's a TV, so mount it like one. Those shots you see in the magazines with them at picture height are studio shots, no use to man nor beast. (except giraffes:D ) People slavishly copy this idea, probably foisted on them by their interior designer, who will not be sitting down to watch it with them.

5. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wherever you feel it is comfortable is the only correct answer imho. Stick a life (plasma) sized bit of paper on the wall in the proposed ideal position and sit and look at it for a while. Best test you can do really.

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    What Ross said!;)

Steve

7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You might also want to factor in the position of a centre speaker - personally I mounted my plasma a bit above eye level so I could get the centre speaker underneath reasonably high and nearer ear-level.

8. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    It's all down to the individual or household imo, we all have different views/opinions on things but for me at has to be at or just above eye level when you are seated at your optimal viewing position.
    My plasma hasn't arrived yet but i have looked into the hight issue extensively, we have a rug that is virtually identical in size to my plasma we have on order, the rug is currently hanging on our chimney breast where the plasma is going to be mounted.
    We have decided the plasma should be mounted around 1000mm from the floor to the bottom of the display, looking straight forward the middle of the picture will be slightly above eye level.
    We feel this is perfect for us as it's not much higher than the Tioshiba CRT we have had for the last two years, some of the displays i have seen IMO are mounted far to high and must be uncomfortable for the viewer after a while.
    Like many others have said there isn't an optimal height it's all down to the individual and what he/she feels comfortable with.
    You may also have to take into consideration little ones and their seemingly uncontrolable urge to hit the screen with solid objects something my brother found out about the hard way.

9. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at my plasma in the "get your plasmas out for the lads II" thread. I sit about 7 feet away from it and it is not too high.

Mike

10. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Make a cardboard template and stick it on the wall at various heights and see how it feels from your viewing position...it could save you time and effort in the long run.

I found that more like normal TV height was best for me.

Cheers, Lee

11. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eye level is probably good. My TV was much lower and my plasma is much higher (the bottom of my screen is about 8" above eye level). I am quite happy looking slightly upwards - it is like being in a cinema. It took a few weeks to get used to, though, so don't make a snap decision.

--Nick