1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimum size?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by topboss, Oct 21, 2004.

1. topboss

topboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie question.

Has anyone got any advice on what size screen is optimum for a 10ft x 12ft room........Plasma being mounted on floor stand. Been staring at screens in Comet etc for hours and just can't decide what would be better......driving me mad now!

37 seems large enough but I don't want to be a few months down the road and wish for a 42!

2. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 36" TV in a room of similar size and I'm thinking about a 42" screen. I guess it's mostly about how far away you're going to be sitting from the screen.

3. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you tried putting marks on the wall or cutting out a bit of cardboard that are the dimensions of the 37/42" screens you are thinking of? That's what I did before I got my 42" Gives you a much better idea of size than looking in shops.

My room is about 10ft wide (with the plasma on the wall and the sofa against the other wall) - so quite near, and I would say it is ideal, not sure I would want anything smaller but don't really "want" for a 50" plasma or anything. I would quite like "much bigger" from time to time - i.e. a projector screen, but with the narrow room it is a tricky option, and anyway that's another thing altogether...

4. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The optimum viewing distance for a projected image is 1 and a half times the screen. I don't see any reason why the viewing distance for a plasma should be much different.

Based on those figures you should be fine with a 42" plasma or even a 50" if you wish. All depends what your budget is.

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I sit about 9-10ft away from 42" and it is ideal...

Plus it is a crime to go 37" when you get 5 inches more for so little extra...(fnar, fnar!!! ;))

JJ

6. topboss

topboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol,

That's exactly what I was thinking......never before has it been so cheap to gain a few vital inches!

I'll be sitting about 10ft away from the screen so 42" looks the way to go.

Cheers for your responses.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm sure it's cheaper than surgery too, and less painful. I've bunged some plasmas on walls in some very 'Bijou' hampstead flats, including some 50" ones. Bit overpowering, a 50" in a small room, but each to their own. (Yes, JJ that too.)