1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimum settings for Sony 10HT projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nobby, Jul 11, 2003.

1. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :confused: :(

Hi guys

I was wondering if somebody could help me get the best out of this projector. it is connected to a toshiba sd900e dvd player which incorporates progressive scan.

unfortunately it appears i get a considerable amount of outline on an image. in many scenes it is fine on a host of movies but in close up shots of actor's heads etc the outlines round their heads are clearly visible.

can something be done about this. it appears my settings on the projector could be the reason, but is there anything which can be done on the dvd player.

i would appreciate any help at all on this matter

thanks

nobby

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Nobby,

Have a look at this site (if you haven't come across it already - full to the brim with 10HT goodness !!!

All the best,

Sean G.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    This could quite possibly just be edge enhancement artifact encoded on the disc itself. Turn down sharpness control and see what happens.

Gordon

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The symptom you are describing (bright ringing around dark objects) is typical of Edge Enhancement - a technique which is applied to far too many DVDs in mastering which makes the image look subjectively sharper on small low res screens. Unfortunately, it has the annoying effect you describe on large, high quality images. Even many new releases still have this "feature" - Die Another Day is an example.

If you have a copy of R1 Attack of the Clones - take a look at this. The R1 item (and, I'm guessing the r2 as well) is virtually free from EE; if you still see the effect noticeably, then you perhaps do need to adjust your PJ. If, howewer, as I suspect, you see little or no ringing, then, I'm afraid it is the software at fault. If I recall correctly, the original R1 Starship Troopers is also a good example of little or no EE.

The VW10 has a sharpness control - if it is set above 50, it will edge-enhance your signal giving the same effect. Unfortunately, if the source is already edge-enhanced, you can never remove it; reducing the sharpness on the PJ below 50 only blurs the image. So leave it set to 50.