1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optimum recording time

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kirpal, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Kirpal

Kirpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought panasonic HS2 dvd recorder. It is capable of recording in different resolutions from XP to EP - 1 hour to 6 hours. What is the optimum resolution for DVD recording. I have tried at different resolutions, but at LP (4 hours) i get lot of video dropouts and flickering.
    Can any body also suggest the right media for this recorder.:nono:

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    from an RGB input i find LP excellent

The optimum recording time will depend upon what you want to record

if you want to record a film that is 90min long set the Flex Rec to 92min to maximise the bit rate

for archiving American TV programmes I generally record around the 3hr mark

I can recomment the tub of 50 yellow Trax

bigpockets and blankdisc both sell them for less than £30

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think you should take a different approach.

!) Always record to the hard drive either in sp, or xp mode if you have space.

2) Edit the program to remove over-run, ads etc.

3) Dub to the dvd-r with fr set to exactly fill the disc with the program you wish to keep.

I prefer one film on one dvd and obtain the best quality I can get.
    With a miniseries I try and split it up to not exceed 3 hours per dvd. I haven't needed to go anywhere near the 6 hour limit yet, but may do that in the future if I archive any videos I have.

If you do 1 above you get a second chance if the media is duff. And always check the recording is ok before erasing the master on the hard drive.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes sorry Ken

of course with the HS2 you should record to the hardrive first pointless having the hard drive if you are not going to do this.

I was recommended to always set the Flex record a couple of minutes over in case the end of the disc is dodgy and the VBR means the recording time is only approximate.

I also agree, recording more than 1 film per disc is pointless with the cost of -R.

Can you simultaneously record different things onto disc and hard drive?

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No

You can record and read at the same time.

This means you can be recording and watch another pre-recorded, or commercial dvd, or a program already on the hard drive. even watch the current recording in time slip mode until you catch up.

There is no option to set the flexible recording length when dubbing to a dvd from the hard drive. FR mode will exactly fill the media, I haven't tried fr mode recording direct to a dvd, and doubt I will ever want to, so I don't know quite what you mean by "set fr to 92 mins"? Presumably when you have the original file on the hard drive, the machine knows its exact size and can ensure a perfect fit to the media. I seem to recall that when the hard drive or dvd media is getting full the machine can alter the compression ratio to make the program recording fit. Never had this problem yet though.

When dubbing from one drive to the other the machine cannot do anything except display the program being dubbed, and even then only if you are not usingthe high speed dub to or from a -ram disc.