1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimum AV Racks

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by TimHiFi, Feb 15, 2005.

1. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know where you can order an Optimum AV Rack (on the internet) where you can choose your own rod heights, and glass thickness and still get a discount ?

Some retailers seem to stock the base model at a good price, but the discount isn't as good against the custom stands (I'm talking more about the extra thick glass here, the shelfs seem to be thrown in for the same price).

2. a3nige

a3nige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try standanddeliver.com

3. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TimHiFi - go forth and google or contact Optimum directly for the costs for different pieces of the furniture. You may be best of buying standard model for cheapest price then buying extra spacers direct.

Anyone else looking at the standanddeliver web site for Optimum AV stands make sure you scroll the the MK-II stuff as this has superceeded the original stands (and explains the now inflated price of the original stuff). I didn't :blush:

Ignore stuff below this - after editing it's left in to make the later apology to a3nige make sense.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [ORIGINAL]
    Arrgghh - I find this kind of reply all most as annoying as those that review a piece of kit as being the best thing - only to find that member selling the item a week later.

a3nige must be on a cut from standanddeliver - at over £180 more than most online retailers with no sign whatsoever of that site providing access to custom builds it's probably not just the company name that was insipired by Dick Turpin.

The AV300 is 489 !!!! - most online retailers do it for less that £350.

a3nige - as a new member, you've either being taken for a (expensive) ride, won over by fantastic service or work for standanddeliver. Which is it ?
    [/ORIGINAL] --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy

4. a3nige

a3nige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Andy,
    Thank you for your kind words about my post. Please let me answer your questions.
    (a) I have not been taken for an expensive ride as (b) I have never dealt with this company. (c) see answer (b)
    It was a quick reply to a question I was also asking myself and it was as far as I had got, so I thought I would be a kind soul and put someone else on the right track.

Timhifi, the latter part of Andy's reply is the usefull info, contact Optimum direct and see what they have to say!

5. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys

Actually www.standanddeliver.com are quite reasonably priced.

The standard AV300 comes in at £329
    The standard Av400 comes in at £429

Add £100 for all 10mm glass, pluss £50 for different finishes

It ain't cheap .. but its about the going rate .... still searching

Tim

6. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I got my av300 with 10mm glass all round £449 delivered from creative audio. I've use them for other stuff before and from checking other web sites the price I got was discounted. I'm pretty sure that the rod sizes etc and options should be available from any optimum dealer? (I had std finish but with the thicker glass (normal 80mm rods)).

Make sure your feeling strong if you get one it weighs a bloomin tonne! :rolleyes:

For me yes it was discounted and maybe if I had looked around a bit more I might have saved a tiny bit more but hey I'd rather pay a bit more for good service tbh.

You can see the list prices and options on optimum2000.com anyways so you know if your onto a good deal or not (not taking the mickey but that is the AV300 and not the AV300SL isn't it?).

And no I don't work for em - I don't think they could afford me ;)

7. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

a3nige - I apologise completely. Looking at the site the very expensive option is for what they describe as the Optimum AV range (and not the current range - described as Optimum AV Mk II - which is much more sensibly priced). My missing this fact meant that it looked like you were posting a "lame" suggestion that would cost people more than it should. There's enough crazy "independent" advice given on forums (not just here) that I see red.

Again - sorry - next time I'll scroll down further - either that or suggest to standanddeliver that they put the old obsolete range at the bottom of the list.

Andy

8. a3nige

a3nige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Andy, No worries m8, :thumbsup: I understand where you are coming from. There are a lot of people out there who have very little or no knowledge of AV and may take something read on this forum as gospel. Personally I look at the forum as a learning tool and as a place to point me in the right direction. Soon I will be asking about Plasma's, Dvd players, Scalers, etc because my knowledge in these areas is not very good, but until then I will read and Learn.

Optimum. I belive they are now doing smoked glass for some, if not all their range.

9. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 'dearer' stands on www.standanddeliver.co.uk are the ones 'to be put in a corner' variety, whereas the AV300 is a rectangular.

Just a note for anyone who is interested, if you buy an AV300/400 stand in all 10mm glass you don't get the extra feet in the middle. If you buy the 10mm/6mm/6mm option you get extra feet in the middle of the stand.

I'm going for 10mm all round becuase I don't like the extra feet.

The feet are there to support the lower shelf on the 6mm variant.

www.standanddeliver.co.uk allow you to choose 10mm glass all round when ordering. You can also e-mail them if you want different shelf spacings (see Optimum web site).

No, I don't work for them either, but I've been having some very helpful e-mails with them :0)

Tim

10. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update On This Thread .....

I was at the Bristol Show on Sunday, and ordered my Optimum Stand :0)

Optimum tell me that they are changing their pricing strategy, they are offering all 10mm glass for the same price as the 10mm/6mm options.

I also got 20% off for ordering there and then :0)

But the main point of interest is that they now do SMOKED glass for the same price.

They had a prototype of the AV300 in smoked glass and chrome ..... it looked fantastic ..... so I bought one (AV400)

Its coming soon .....

11. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    See you ordered your stand! Sounds like you got a good deal... nice to get 10mm for all shelves, and smoked and 20% off :smashin:

Post a piccy when you get it :cool:
    Guido

12. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guido

Yep .... £200 off old list price, so I had to got for it .... should be arriving at the end of the week, or early next week.

I'll post a picy when I've assembled it :0)

13. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My new AV Rack should be with me tomorrow

14. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :cool: look forward to pics :smashin: (I have just bought myself a Sound Organisation Z5 for my HiFi and Cinema gear upstairs - still got my "Optimum'ish" rack downstairs :D )

15. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guido,

I've assembled the AV400 and a picture is enclosed. Its got no HiFi on it/in it yet, and its not installed in the living room ... I only built it this morning :0)

This rack is an AV400 in all 10mm Smoked Charcoal glass, with Chrome supports. I chose spacers of 200mm (for Amp Space) and 120mm (for DVD/CD space) and 200mm for centre speaker space.

Optimum have done a really nice job here .... I think it looks fantastic. I was going to buy normal clear glass, but the new smoked glass looks great (even the missus liked it)

Attached Files:

16. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Very nice indeed Tim.. smoked glass looks good :thumbsup:
    Are the legs chrome?
    Bet it weighs a ton too what with 4 pieces of 10mm glass :eek:
    When I built mine it was like... "OK now how do I move it into position!"... had to get some help!

17. TimHiFi

TimHiFi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guido

Yep, the legas are chrome .... look really good with the dark shelves.

It weighs a LOT, its a one person drag, or a two person lift.

I asked about using spikes, but with all that weight there is little point :0)

18. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Finally got my av300 setup with my kit this weekend. Its 10mm glass all round standard finish and standard 80mm legs.

Just for scale the TV is a Sharp 26" LCD.

And yes the rack weighs a tonne - One shelf is moveable by 1 person but assembly you will need 2 people to lay the glass on.

Attached Files:

19. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bought the av one from peter tyson £100 of list price wife complained about 2 of the 10ml shelves they sent us 2 more now have 2 spares cant remeber the model no but my pw6 fits on it very nicely