• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Optimistic but lost

Synesthesia

Novice Member
Hi Guys - I am a newbie here. I have recently bought a Samsung tv UE55F6320 and a Samsung 3d player with 5.1 HTF4500 Bluray.

The entertainment source is from:

1) TV itself - is smart with apps and all connected to wifi
2) through 3d player - playing local bluray content as well as stream apps like netflix through wifi like the tv
3) through Sky HD box

I have HDMI cables as well as 1 optical.

Sky and Bluray are connected to TV via HDMI - the bluray gives 5.1 through local play as well thorugh strean netflix etc via HDMI but the Sky doesnt. I guess the reason may be that the speakers are locally connected to the bluray. The 5.1 bluray has only 1 optical in - sky and tv have optical out - i have tried optical on both sky and tv - the tv gives 5.1 but the sky doesnt - Ihave tried different software settings all over the equipment, no luck.

What i want is - to have optical out from tv and sky into the 5.1 player maybe via a switch?? And for the 5.1 to work for both sky and tv - i can get the switch the only issue is - sky isnt working with optical as it is so that needs sorting first - once done I can look into the switch to have both connected.

Any help will be great.

Ghostrider

On the SKY HD box you need to set the Optical out to Dolby D. press Services, 0, then right to sound then select. Change Optical output to Dolby D and then green to save.

Synesthesia

Novice Member
On the SKY HD box you need to set the Optical out to Dolby D. press Services, 0, then right to sound then select. Change Optical output to Dolby D and then green to save.
Hi ghostrider - tried that quiet few times - doesnt work - what happens is stereo comes through when both optical and hdmi are normal e.g stereo- with optical dolby nothing happens - with hdmi dolby sound stops.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Connect all componets to your TV via HDMI. Set the SKY box's audio setting for HDMI to Dolby Digital. Connect the Blu-ray's HDMI out to the ARC enable HDMI input on your TV. Within the TV's settings, turn Anynet on and enable ARC and do likewise within the Blu-ray's settings. You may also need to choose receiver as opposed to TV speakers from with the TV's audio settings.

Dolby Digital 5.1 and any other audio should now passthrough your TV to the Blu-ray via the HDMI connections and without the need for additional optical connections.

Note that Dolby Digital is a format and not something you can simply turn on. The content you are viewing actually has to be encoded with it in order for you to get it and not all broadcasts are encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1. The vast majority of TV broadcasts are nothing more than 2 channel stereo. Turning Dolby Digital on within the SKY box's settings still allows for stereo and non Dolby Digital encoded content to be conveyed.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom