1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimal Settings For Panasonic TH50PHW5B..?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by midniteman, Mar 30, 2003.

1. midniteman

midniteman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I have finally taken the plunge and bought a TH50PHW5B.
    I know absolutely NOTHING about plasma screens (except how to switch it on!!).
    I will only be running the DVD player and SKY Digital through it.
    I'm told that to get the best picture from the display, you need to alter the standard settings?
    Please could you guys give some advice as to what the optimal settings are?
    Thank you very, very much for your help, I am forever in your debt...!!! :) :) :) :) :)

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi,

Wow, you've just spent £6000 on something you know nothing about? :eek: :eek:

Anyway, for a start, I would reduce the brightness down to a sensible level for at least the first 100 hours of use. Also try to avoid prolonged viewing of still images like those horrendous channel logos. Then you can invest in a calibration DVD like Video Essentials or AVIA. After that, you might want to invest in a nice ISF calibration from someone like Gordon Fraser which would give you the ultimate image quality from your not-so-small investment. Hope you enjoy it!

Steve

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    These recommendations are only a rough guide and based on the 'cinema' setting as a baseline:

Contrast -15 (default is too high and risks burn-in)
    Brightness 0 (I think the previous poster meant contrast when he suggested reducing the brightness - brightness controls the black level in the picture so if you reduce it much you will lose a lot of shadow detail)
    Colour 0-2
    Sharpness -5 to -8
    Hue 0
    White balance Warm

Those settings have been calibrated first with Avia and VE, then through a full ISF calibration with Gordon. Your setting will be slightly different due to slight differences in panels, but the general idea is to reduce CONTRAST to reduce the white level, and thus avoid burning the panel with static images.

I use the cinema level for watching DVDs, then use the normal setting with a contrast of -30 (minimum) for video games. Use the three picture memories for different situations, but try to keep contrast as low as possible for the given lighting conditions. I strongly recommend the Avia disk for best results without spending too much money.

4. midniteman

midniteman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your advice, I will make the changes as per your posts, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me!!!
    Thank you once again...! :)