1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optimal refresh rates?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by apul, Jan 19, 2003.

1. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    sorry if this has been asked before, but i cant seem to find much in the search. im trying to setup my PC now for connection to a Tosh 32zd26p. will be outputting through VGA to component adapter.
    So, ive been messing with the refresh rates while playing PAL discs, what i would like to know is what is the correct resolution for output as PAL for widesreen and NTSC for widescreen. i think its ***X576 form PAL and ***X480 for NTSC. so id be glad if someone could fill in the *** gaps.

Also the TV only accepts NTSC progressive scan, so am i right in thinking the refresh rate will need to be set at 480 at 60hz?
    and would this give more filckering of moving edges if i were to play PAL discs with this?
    and what is the optimal refresh rate for playing PAL discs and NTSC discs to a TV?
    i hope you undersatnd, im just trying to minimise blur/flickering when im playing scanning type shots. with output to a TV.

thanks for your time.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    DVD is 720 wide for both PAL and NTSC discs.

The correct refresh rate for NTSC is 59.94Hz, PAL is 50Hz. For film based NTSC DVDs 47.952hz and 71.928hz work well.

3. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks.

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I'm planning a similar setup (I've got one of the 36" versions of the tosh strata TVs), what sort of resolutions do you find work well?

Owain

5. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    haven got the tv at the moment, will be able to get to it in about a week (its my brothers) and i havnt actually tried connection to a computer yet. so im just preparing my powerstrip settings.
    i do seem to get a fair bit of motion flickering as compared with a standlone player at all refeshrates ive tried, is this normal? will it be solved with different sofware player?

owain, what do you use to connect the tv? a vga to component adapter? my brother and i are going to build one (not too complectated)

thanks

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Not built my system yet, but when I do I think I'll be using one of these Audio Authority VGA component convertors

I'm not sure how easy it is to build your own, but then I'm quite clueless with a soldering iron ;) do you have schematics, etc. for the convertor?

Another option I have seen is using a simpler method that works with Radeon cards where you can patch the registry to make the card output YPbPr instead of RGB and then all you need is a custom cable that can map certain pins to certain wires, VGA at one end and three phono at the other. You can find info for this on the AVSforum. Not sure how easy this is or how well it works, whereas the audio authority solutions is tried and tested.

Let me know how you get on.

7. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    yeah, i have the secmatics for a VGA to component converter, my brother is an electonic/electrical engineer (well nearly), hes just built a headphone amp, and its fantastuc quality! and we're going to built a multi channel amp soon, for home cinema use etc.

that Radeon card registery hack thing sounds pretty good, i'll look into it in a couple of days as ive got 3 exams in the next 2 days! the gits!

edit- i cant find the scematic for the converter, im quite busy at the moment. i think i found them from a link in the avs forums. i think the converter was called a 'VGA to component transcoder'