1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optimal measures/layout for HC room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Anti112, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Anti112

Anti112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all!

Just in a fase of planning the room layout for the new house.
    Will also build a separate Home Cinema room ( :clap: ) and interested to hear your thoughts about the ideal measures and shape for the room.
    First plans were for a room about 30m2, with 6x5 meters measures.
    The kit for the room will be Dynaudio Audience 122 main sp, 122C, 42W for surround and 42 for surround back. A sub is not decided yet, maybe Dynaudios own SUB300 or REL Strata 5 perhaps. The PJ will be Pana AE700. receiver Marantz SR8500.
    At first the seating wil be an about 2 meters wide sofa, with plans to buy proper cinema seats for three persons maybe in the future. So mainly 1-3 persons watching the movie, not more.
    Do you think the 6x5m shape is the best (the screen being then on the 5m wall), or maybe a squear sized room would be better? It is also possible to exted the size of the room with about 1 meters in eiter directions if that would be a noticeable improvement.
    Comments please!

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Couple of things to think about - the ideal viewing distance from the screen is twice the screen width away (if your screen is 2m wide, then your seats should be 4m back from it). Secondly, you will achieve a better sub-bass response if you avoid parallel walls, I'm no expert, but I have friends in the industry that tell me it's something to do with standing waves at very low frequencies. I was told that even a small degree of taper will produce a big improvement! Maybe an expert on this forum can give us some more info on this? (Please)

3. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi there,

I did quite a bit of research into room ratios and sizes and bits, some of the details in the planning section of the home cinema on http://www.the-dreaming.co.uk

There are a couple of ratio's on there, i think there may have been a few more i found, but a net search on some of the topics may help...Louden or Bolt should bring stuff up that is used in designing studio's.

As for non paralel, from what i gather yes it can help, but its a bugger to predict and most stuff i read said it was too complex to get correct, and acoustics are even still a bit of a black art.