1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optima 431 Plasma TV Package

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by emma129, Jun 19, 2005.

1. emma129

emma129
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I was reading through your posts regarding tiny plasma screen tv's, i was myself looking to buy the Optima 431 Plasma TV Package as you SEEM to be getting a great deal for your money £999 for a screen, stand, dvd and a surround system below is a link to their page showing this package

http://homecinema.tiny.com/tv/web_only/14759/37103/Optima_431_Plasma_TV_Package_42"

THIS IS A LIST OF THE SPECIFICATIONS

ProcessorScreen Type - 42" (107cm) Plasma Panel
    ProcessorDimensions / Weight - 105cm x 64cm x 8.5cm External (without stand & speakers); 30KG
    ProcessorTV Tuner - TV Tuner Built In with Remote Control
    ProcessorOn Screen Display - Full Graphics OSD Control System
    ProcessorViewing Aspects - 16:9 Widescreen; 1.85:1, 2.35:1 and Picture in Picture
    ProcessorDesktop Stand - Includes desktop stand for table top installation
    ProcessorWall Mountable - Wall mount bracket not included - see upgrades below
    ProcessorSpeakers - Detachable Stereo Speakers
    ProcessorPixel Resolution - 853 x 480 (can handle 1280 x 1024 inputs)
    ProcessorContrast / Viewing Angle - 1000:1 Contrast & 160° Viewing Angle
    ProcessorBrightness / Dot Pitch - 640 nit / 1.08 mm
    ProcessorVideo In Ports - Component, Scart x2, RF & D-Sub15 (PC VGA/SVGA)
    ProcessorVideo Out Ports - RCA
    ProcessorAudio In Ports - L/R RCA for S-Video / AV & Stereo Mini Jack for PC/DVI/Earphone
    ProcessorAudio Out Ports - L/R RCA for Video Out, Speaker Out & Earphone Jack

SCREEN SPECIFICATIONS

- 42" (107cm) Widescreen 16:9 aspect, 8.5cm thin, 30kg weight
    - Latest generation plasma panel
    - Multi-system: PAL / SECAM / NTSC
    - Brilliant Display with 1000:1 contrast with 16.7 million colours and 160 degree viewing angle
    - 853 x 480 Pixel Resolution (can handle 1280 x 1024 inputs)
    - Full Graphics On-Screen Display Control System
    - AC100-240V Power Supply
    - Nicam Stereo Support
    - Double Screen feature
    - Teletext
    - Average panel lifespan 65,000 hours

Please don't tell me to go searching through thousands of threads to see if anyone has posted as i have searched and read searched and read, in particular 2 threads 1. TINY HELL and 2. IF YOU OWN A TINY PLASMA SCREEN PLEASE READ THIS, Although a lot of people seem to be experiencing problems i only read one part where someone was actually complaining about the screen itself, smearing i think it said and another about compatibility issues

I called Tiny this AM as i have a store nearby, BUT to order from the store it will cost me £100 more which i think is rediculous so if i did decide to purchase this package i am forced to buy online which i don't really like doing, i already own a phillips 32" tube tv but with having a footy mad hubby he is wanting a bigger screen to watch tv on and as we own umpteen tv's and having just recently paying around £1299 for the tv we have now we are only looking to pay around £1000 for one, i brought up the issue of screen burn with the sales assistant over the phone and he assured me that they use the new technology screens and that it wouldn't be an issue with this particular screen

On reading the posts in this forum i am not sure if any of them are regarding this particular screen (Optima 431 Plasma) < im not sure if that is the actual model number or not

Another thing i am worried about is Tiny aftersales care if i do not choose to take out any extra warranty (which i can't afford) where do i stand, the guy on the phone said if i had any trouble i would have to go directly to tiny and not through the store but by phone or online, i want to know does it cost to get through to tiny and if i did need a repair early on would i have to pay carrier charges to and from tiny, are their deliveries any good, or do people seem to be waiting forever, online it quotes me 28-45 days and to me that is rediculous

I know this post has been long and drawn out but any help or information anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has bought this package could you give me any help or advice, do you have compatibility issues as i have dvd recorders and sky+ also the kids have their games consoles to hook up also if people havn't bought this tv could you please look at the stats and give me your opinion as most of it is double dutch to me, i must admit i have been put of greatly by reading this site, but the amount your getting for your money is what is making me want it but then again i don't want it if it is going to be a lot of crap for my money

thank you in advance for any help or advice anyone is able to provide me with

emma

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    please search for Tiny on this forum before buying this is a RIP off the plasma and all bits are very poor quality, Tiny are useless and have been taken to court so many times you would not beleive they openly lie to customers and charge premium rate phone numbers for owners to report faults and flout the LAW

DO NOT BUY FROM TINY.COM or TIME or "the Computer SHOP" all the same cowboy outfit

(PS this is my opinion feel free to waste your money and form your own)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. emma129

emma129
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    still no where near the quality of a panasonic, all of these cheap screens, Techwood, Goodmans Tiny etc all use Samsung screens and are assembled in China using very cheap components...... they are all pretty crap TBH but at least Argos/dixons etc should offer a bit more in the way of customer service and support. for VFM the PWD7 cannot be beaten simple as the only other screens worth considering are the LG 42PX11 (more of a TV than a bare panel) £1300 ish but you may get a local JL to pricematch and get the JL 5 yr warranty and excellent support, stay away from JVC they really fall short of the market PQ wise (Plasma TV's) there are other options like 37PW7 for £999 from Richer sounds but for a "footie mad hubby" a cheap plasma is the worst thing you can buy it will look horrible!!! and you will regret it.....As you have a 32" WS why not consider keeping that and buying a cheap projector for Big games and that real big screen feel!!!! Infocus 4805 with ceiling mount (can just use on a table etc) with 3 yr warranty and delivery £785 how about a 90" wide picture??? (need to demo) or one of the many LCD projectors available under £1000 Sanyo Z2 ex dem SH etc is amazing value for money and will blow you away!!!

6. minstrel

minstrel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to placed an order for the upgrade, ie the 3000.1 ratio at £1,199, but after finding this site and spending over 4 hours last night reading the horror stories I rang tiny this morning and cancelled my order, in fairness it seems a cracking deal to new plasma trekkies like me, and it makes sense when they say they cut out the middle men to save money, and advertise in a national paper, anyway back to my new plasma, how do you rate samsung I have seen model PS42V4SX at £1,495 and it looks very nice are they any good, or the LGRZ42PX11 at £1,217, which is the best as I have seen both cheaper else ware also does john lewis pricematch web prices, please help as I am new to plasma, boy am I glad I found this site, tiny no thanks !!!! :clap:

7. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    That samsung is almost as bad as a tiny imho. I know, ive had two. The LG should be better but go get yourself some demos....

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If it's a cheap there is *always* a reason - usually that reason being it's a load of *****.

Panasonic 42PWD7 is pretty much the best SD 42" plasma there is, and always has been. Given that the screen alone can be had for just over £1300, and with a package of DVD surround system and all cabling for £1600 why would you want to buy the worst plasma there is when the best one is comparatively not that much more!! I know £600 more is still a lot of money, but not when it's the difference between unwatchable turd and Home Cinema heaven.

9. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amen Liam

So ya see Emma...get hold of Horny!

10. minstrel

minstrel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: