Optical ??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Scooterslg, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Scooterslg

Scooterslg
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, can u help me plz, got lg soundbar, says connect with optical cable that came with it, can I buy a longer one? Do I need one to tv and one to sky + hd box? What about one to DVD player? Don't have a clue, all help appreciated, thanks already

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Best to list the make/model numbers of all kit and if possible provide links to online user manuals.

Joe

3. Scooterslg

Scooterslg
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV lg42 620t, soundbar n3530a sky+hd

4. micktric

micktric
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,you can get longer toslink optical leads at most tv/electrical goods shop,just take the one you have now and ask for a longer one of those!(or of course go online to some where like SEME,RS,Maplin) Connect the optical lead to the optical out on the tv to optical 1 on sound bar,this will then give you sound for the sky and dvd so long as they are directly connected to the tv via HDMI( I presume the dvd is modern and has HDMI),connected this way you will get sound from freeview,smart/internet tv(you tube etc)dvd and sky#.Your sound bar though 2.1 has a dolby digital decoding so if you want better sound as the tv only passes basically(it can be enhanced by onboard processors but these are simple) stereo through,connect your sky box into the second optical input directly with a optical lead and on the sky menu go to options and then sound and select optical audio and set to dolby digital.Still keep the first optical cable connected for freeview etc.You will then via soundbar remote or input button select optical 1 or 2 depending on what you want to listen too.If you are using only sky and dvd then connect both onto sound bar with optical leads and get Dolby digital decoding off both units.If you want the best sound from sky and dvd and want to keep connected to the tv via optical for internet/freeview get a 2 way optical input selector box that has two inputs and one output,then when on the second input on the sound bar you can have the dvd inputting or sky,you just use the selector on the input box to choose,You can get these with either manual selection or remote(much dearer!),on the first option i gave you will need 1 optical lead,the second-2,the third-2 and the fourth option with the selector-4(3 for selector,1 for tv) Regards Mike .

PS- if you find you are getting confused just go for the first option,you will make life your much simpler and still be impressed with the sound I am sure, so just take in the instructions up to where I have put the#.