• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Optical wall plates

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I am about to rewire in a house with brick walls and want to put a couple of optical cables in so the question is:
Is there an optical wallplate that will let me use an optical cable buried in the wall?
I have got some right angle adapters but they are so big I can't really get the connectors into the backbox.
Thanks.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I got a sample of those but the adapters are so big the strain relief on the optical cable would still be in the trunking.
It looks like with Fisual cables I can unscrew the connector cover and trim down the body enough to fit in a 45mm backbox.

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Crikey, really?? What if you use a 47mm back box and bury the trunking a bit deeper in the wall?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
That's what I'm doing but it's still necessary to shorten the strain relief to keep the strain on the coupler down.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I'd much rather stick to pure optical - using coax raises the spectre of earth loops and converters mean more bits, cost and points of failure.
It's a pain but being careful means the optical route will work OK.
I'm fitting HDMI 1.4 High Speed HEAC cables so too late to skimp.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Crikey, really?? What if you use a 47mm back box and bury the trunking a bit deeper in the wall?

Good idea, there wil lbe 47mm baack boxes for the optical feeds. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom