1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical vs Separate channel Interconnects

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Samoz, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Samoz

Samoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Would someone comment whether a single Optical connection would be better than separate RCA connections for individual channels between a DVD player and a AV receiver?

What is the difference between using Optical and Interconnects for multichannels. Is it a case of where the audio info is decoded? Which is a better audio option to use?

Are there different grades of Optic cables? I have seen some really cheap Audio Optic connects and some very pricey ones. Is this the same analogy as a comparison between ordinary copper cable and OFC?

Cheers,
    Sam

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Optical connections are digitally encoded, and thus far more immune to the noise and distortion issues that can spoil an analogue connection, because the digital decoding has built-in error correction.

3. Samoz

Samoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I forgot to add that if you want Dolby 5.1, it has to be optical or co-axial.

5. Samoz

Samoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 3yr old Singer DVD player already has the separate channel outputs. I guess the decoding would be better done by my Pioneer VSX-D712.

If I were to get a better DVD player that has both types how would know which option to go for without experimenting? The separate Copper cables seems a lot pricer than a single optical/coax cable.

Regards,
    Sam

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Sam,

Generally, you would use optical or coax rather than analogue connections unless, as you suggested, the decoder in your DVD player betters that in your AV receiver.

Unless your player does SACD or DVD-A, in which case you would have to use the analogue connections to appreciate the full benefits of those formats.

Unless your amp supports encrypted digital inputs (iLink/Firewire or HDMI), and your SACD/DVD-A capable DVD player has encrypted outputs, in which case you could use that connection method for all :)

Simple, init :)

Nick's not entirely correct about DD/DTS requireing co-ax. Again, depends on the capabilities of your DVD player - if the player has 5.1 analogue outputs, chances are it has onboard DD/DTS decoding.

Cheers, Carl.

7. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends on the quality of your DACs. Good DAC in your DVD and a poor one in your receiver, youur much better to use the DVD DAC. It also works the other way.

Sorry to break it, SPDIF has no error checking or correction, it doesn't even carry a clock signal.

Best bet is to cut a hole in your DVD player and receiver, and use the I2S bus from the transport to reciver, well it takes some modding. Maybe not in your case. :thumbsup:

8. Samoz

Samoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carl,
    You are right. The player does have DD/DTS out. Not sure how capable it is though. Heard of Singer SGD-001? I got this locally in Sydney under 200aud.

Sam
    Merry Christmas

9. Samoz

Samoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't tempt me...my wife might go ballistic :devil:

10. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Only Singer I've heard of make sewing machines :laugh:

11. Samoz

Samoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I thought too when I bought it. It was relatively cheap considering the numerous features. It must be just for the Asia-pacific market.

Merry Christmas...