1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical vs Digital stabiliser ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Tom Braider, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Tom Braider

Tom Braider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have always gone for Canons Camcorders with Optical stabilisers (Hi-8) and am in the process of moving to DV. Is there much loss of quality with the Digital stabiliser cameras. I've also heard that you lose some of the digital functions when you have the DIS turned on. Is this true.

I was looking to buy the Panny NVGX7 but have found that it has a software image stabiliser but i really like the look of it. The only other one i might consider is the Canon MVX1i but it looks a little bulky.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Digital stabilising will effectively crop into the image and pan around a window as it tries to track and satbilise any detectable motion in the image: this not only entails a loss of resolution due to the cropping and resize but filtering of the image is required which also casues additional loss of detail.

Optical stabilisation is mechanical obviously and negates the need for the digital filtering (turn it off on pans though).

Go with optical.