Optical to component adaptor?

Steve Tustin

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a new TV with an optical audio socket but my home theatre (SC-PT440 only used for audio) only has component audio out. Is there such a thing as a suitable adaptor?

Component Video maybe - Component Audio is a new one for me :)

Probably best if you provide info on your TV and a list of kit your connecting to the System!

Joe

Last edited:
lol.

LG LS570T and I want to output audio to Panasonic SC-PT450 (ony use it fo raudio)

Many thanks

The TV apparently outputs as well as accepts inputs on the AV1 Scart connection (adapter). I'd be tempted to use a cheapo Scart to Phono leads just to input the Left / Right Audio into the Aux connections on the TV.

23007352158-orig.png

So it would connect to the TV's Scart adapter to the Aux on the Panny.

23007403021-orig.png

Thanks all. Suspected SCART may be able to be used but already using that for a PVR :(

In which case, Trollslayer's link is your best (if not only) bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The TV apparently outputs as well as accepts inputs on the AV1 Scart connection (adapter). I'd be tempted to use a cheapo Scart to Phono leads just to input the Left / Right Audio into the Aux connections on the TV.

So it would connect to the TV's Scart adapter to the Aux on the Panny.

Tried this and not a peep :(

Looks as if this new TV may lead to even more expense!

Is there a selector on the scart adapter thingy to change the direction of the signal? I assume you have selected aux on the panny? Any tv settings that output sound and vision on av1?

Is there a selector on the scart adapter thingy to change the direction of the signal? I assume you have selected aux on the panny? Any tv settings that output sound and vision on av1?

Tried both settings and set to AUX on panny. TV settings just tell me no signal

I have another adaptor somewhere so will try that just in case the first one is faulty (not been used in a long time!)

Your help really appreciated. I don't want to have to buy a new home theatre system as the only thing I use on it is the sound, the little speakers have all been installed tidily with hidden cables and could do without the cost!!

Your help is really appreciated

"TV settings just tell me no signal"

You need to turn the TV to a normal channel. The AV1 Scart should then output the sound from the channel you're watching to the Panny on the Aux input.

From your manual for this model

23022143363-orig.png

It deffo outputs sound on the AV1! Not sure why you're not picking it up! :confused:

"TV settings just tell me no signal"

You need to turn the TV to a normal channel. The AV1 Scart should then output the sound from the channel you're watching to the Panny on the Aux input.

Still nothing

However, spotted this which looks just the ticket?

Steve

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Nothing in the end as I had 2 of the SCART adaptors in that box that 'er indoors is a load of rubbish! :laugh:

Will the adaptor above do the trick?

The adapter you linked to will work.

Just curious as to what adapters you had. Some are designed to get sound and video INTO a device, not out!

The adapter you linked to will work.

Just curious as to what adapters you had. Some are designed to get sound and video INTO a device, not out!

One allowed all three RCA plus S-Video and had a little switch on the side marked CVBS or Y/C. The other allowed all three RCA and is marked "input" on the end where the RCA are.

The adapter linked probably suits me better anyway as the TV only has a single SCART and we have a PVR that 'er indoors will not let me change!

Many thanks

Last edited:
OK. FWIW it sounds like neither of those adapters would work. They're more for connecting say an older video cam to a TV with a Scart. As you say, more convenient if you use the optical route anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom