1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optical to coaxial

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tsabberton, Dec 23, 2002.

1. tsabberton

tsabberton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey anyone out there that can help me with this question!!!
    I am looking to connect my xbox to my av amp so that i can have digital 5.1 with playing games aswell!
    i was looking at the back of my reciever and found the optical in that the xbox would have to use! but i found out that its an optical in for Tv/Sat so it dosent support 5.1
    i have a coaxial in put for digital 5.1 sound but the problem is that its the wrong connection :(
    Anyway my question is if a converter is available in the uk to convert from optical to coaxial and if so would it still be converted in 5.1 channels of sound? o yeah and wot kinda price am i looking at?
    thanks alot

tony

2. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Maplin sell such a device, part number QN18U - £14.99

3. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What kind of receiver do you have? Surely all digital inputs whether optical or coax should allow you to decode 5.1 regardless of whether they are assigned to TV/SAT or DVD or anything else!

If your receiver really does restrict decoding options depending on the input type then that really is a supremely brainless bit of engineering :rolleyes:

Michael.

4. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree with michaelab. The inputs on the amp are just labels as the manufactures cannot predict that the TV/SAT source will never produce 5.1 signals. Plus it would cost more to implement this kind of restriction