optical to coaxial

T

tsabberton

hey anyone out there that can help me with this question!!!
I am looking to connect my xbox to my av amp so that i can have digital 5.1 with playing games aswell!
i was looking at the back of my reciever and found the optical in that the xbox would have to use! but i found out that its an optical in for Tv/Sat so it dosent support 5.1
i have a coaxial in put for digital 5.1 sound but the problem is that its the wrong connection :(
Anyway my question is if a converter is available in the uk to convert from optical to coaxial and if so would it still be converted in 5.1 channels of sound? o yeah and wot kinda price am i looking at?
thanks alot

tony

michaelab

Novice Member
What kind of receiver do you have? Surely all digital inputs whether optical or coax should allow you to decode 5.1 regardless of whether they are assigned to TV/SAT or DVD or anything else!

If your receiver really does restrict decoding options depending on the input type then that really is a supremely brainless bit of engineering :rolleyes:

Michael.

Alsproject

I agree with michaelab. The inputs on the amp are just labels as the manufactures cannot predict that the TV/SAT source will never produce 5.1 signals. Plus it would cost more to implement this kind of restriction

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom