1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical Splitters Any Good?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Daglor, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daglor

Daglor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I've got a Kenwood Amp that has only one optical in at the back.

I would like to connect up both the X-Box and a Toshiba SD330 DVD Player up to it.

Now I've heard you can get optical splitters so you can connect two devices to one optical in.

Now I'm a fussy bugger and I don't use scart splitters because of the drop-out in picture quality.

Is there any drop in audio quality in using an optical splitter and if not which is the best optical splitter to buy.

Any help gratefully received as I'm a newbie with regards connecting anything to an amp.

2. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a splitter like the one below (not exactly the same but close enough), to connect my xbox and hs2 into one optical on my dsp.

Not had any sound loss problems.

:)

Splitter

3. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I used a splitter too for years before upgrading my amp.

Worked fine.

Got mine from Homebase.

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Not had any problems with mine either , using it with matching MAXVIEW optical leads :rotfl: from B&Q . (XBOX & SKY+ into amp)

5. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Now I'm confused. I have the same problem ie need to connect Sky and XBox opticals into my amp that only has one input for optical. Now, I thought I was going to have to buy a switch, but you're all talking about a splitter. Heeeeeeeelp

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Go to here .and have a look under retail products - then av accessories - the optical accessories .Got mine from B&Q but it would seem they are available from most diy stores(about 7 or 8 quid).You will need to put your Sky box into standby, Works a treat for me:smashin:

7. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    But am I right in thinking that this is not designed for the purpose you are using it, strictly speaking? I've seen people discussing these on different DG's and one guy couldn't get his splitter to work when trying to connect his DVD and Sky+ to his amp. He bought a switch and worked a treat. One guy also said that "there is a danger of damaging the pinfer receiver in the amp if both devices are powered up when using a splitter in this way". Here's the link if anyone's interested.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/t/101508/60a5ddd66b59ab6eece860a28ab2a2efds.html

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I've (*nearly) always switched Sky+ to standby before use , i assumed it was fairly obvious that if you ran the 2 units together you would just get garbage out the other end :confused: . Have been running it like this since i bought my Xbox in august and have had no problems .

*However the other night i wondered why i was getting nothing from amp , turned out I had't turned sky+ off.Swithced it to s/by and it was all ok:)

9. Moray M

Moray M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't see how you could damage anything using this configuration... unless the receiver module is unhappy with the increased light level that it may be exposed to if you run both transmitter devices simultaneously. I very much doubt that this is likely, otherwise you could potentially damage your receiver if you left the spdif optical in port uncovered and exposed it to a high light level.

The system optically isolates the equipment and it is only light that passes across the interface. The sound signal is encoded digitally and transmitted as light across the fibre optic link. The receiver converts the light signal back into an elevtronic logic level serial stream which is passed to the decoder circuitry.

If both your transmitters are actively sending data across the link at the same time, the receiver is unlikely to be able to validate and use the incoming information, and this would probably lead a lack of sound. If you then turn off one of the transmitters, the receiver should be able to make sense of the incoming data stream and audio should be restored.

So I would expect the receiver to be able to decode one input source at a time, and to go mute if you try and send two sources through the splitter at the same time. I would be very suprised if there were any chance or damaging your receiver by attempting to feed it the mix of two spdiff signals at the same time.

Moray

10. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So, is there any logical reason why someone would buy an optical switch (£25) over a splitter (£7)? I know that a switch lets you manually choose the device you want to hear, but if there is no danger to your system from having them both powered up at the same time,why on earth would anyone buy a switch? Or is it a bit hit and miss whether this would work, dependent on the devices you want to connect?

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,029
    Hello Daglor

Possibly OTT compared to the other options being suggested here but we now import a range of video switchers from the US that have optical inputs on each line (co-axial or optical) and the switch will actually mix and match the optical and co-axial as required.

As your a fussy bugger :) this may be more in line with your requirements - and also allow for further expansion of your system. See http://www.zektor.com

Best regards

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.