Optical sound from Panny Plasma

Col09

Standard Member
My system is an oldish Panny 5.1 surround sound with built in DVD and Hard Drive with optical in put but no HDMI or any Digital tuners at all. It sounds brilliant so have no reason to get rid of it. Sky HD+ with optical straight in to Panny 5.1 and a Panny 50G10 plasma.
I wish to add a Panny Blue-Ray but of course lack optical sound options. I've tried HDMI from Sky to the plasma and then optical from the plasma to the 5.1 expecting the HDMI to take dolby to the tv but it come out as stereo (hope you are following this).
Should HDMI carry a 5.1 signal and should the plasma then send this signal out again via its optical output?

Ja50nKay

The Sky boxes do not pass 5.1 over the HDMI lead. As far as I know, to get 5.1 from the sky boxes, the optical output is the only option.

Col09

Standard Member
Wow quick reply, and you understand my problem. So only option is to replace sound system then with built in blue ray. Seems a waste though. Can you think of any other options? Panny blue ray (DMPBDT110) & sky to sound system with one input and no hdmi. Scart or phono wont carry 5.1 in any way will it?

MaturityDodger

You can get optical switches, that take two optical outputs (sky and blu-ray in your case) to one optical input (Panasonic surround).
They're cheap, but you'd have to manually change the source on the switch.

Col09

Standard Member
You can get optical switches, that take two optical outputs (sky and blu-ray in your case) to one optical input (Panasonic surround).
They're cheap, but you'd have to manually change the source on the switch.
I'm glad I realised my dilema before purchasing the BluRay. By the time I've bought the BluRay + switch unit + two optical cables I expect it would be easier to replace the surround system.
Will hope I can get a new surround player in the sales. Shame though as the system I've got works great.

MaturityDodger

Fair enough - it wouldn't have been an ideal situation to be in, with the switch.
To avoid being in this situation again, you could consider going for separates instead of an all-in-one blu-ray system.
It'll cost more, but you get quite a few benefits in terms of upgradability, flexibility, connectivity, and usually quality.

Or as a middle ground, you could get a blu-ray player, and then an AVR + speakers package.

Col09

Standard Member
Fair enough - it wouldn't have been an ideal situation to be in, with the switch.
To avoid being in this situation again, you could consider going for separates instead of an all-in-one blu-ray system.
It'll cost more, but you get quite a few benefits in terms of upgradability, flexibility, connectivity, and usually quality.

Or as a middle ground, you could get a blu-ray player, and then an AVR + speakers package.
To be honest, not really after BluRay. I've a Panny HD camera and copy files onto DVD in AVCHD format. Need a Panny BluRay to play back. I know of lots of other options but I will need BluRay one day so two birds one stone.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom