Optical output

PANORAMIC

Novice Member
This has proven too complicated for me!

Plan: Optical out on an LG tv into an optical splitter, then output to 2 different audio devices and playing the same audio source simultaneously.
Device 1 - Yamaha soundbar. Device 2: Stereo amp - the optical cable goes through an optical/analogue rca converter then into the amp.

So this all worked surprisingly well providing i have the audio output on the tv set to pcm. Problem with that is i want DTS and DD on the soundbar but it doesn't give me that just "regular" audio, If i change the optical output to auto i get the DTS and DD........ but i then lose the audio on my amp.

The original source i am playing media from is a Sony 4k BR player into my tv.

Figured i would see if somebody cleverer than me can come up with a solution!

I have tried several other things like hdmi from the 4k player to the soundbar for an independent audio source then hdmi from the soundbar to the tv via ARC, but i can't get any audio into my amp via the optical out and pcm.

My head hurts now :(

mushii

Your problem is it sounds like your Stereo Amp has no means to decode the DD stream, hence no audio. You are unlikely to do what you want using your existing setup. Some modern stereo amps have in-built decoders that can extract the stereo information from a DD stream and play it back, similarly an AV Amp would be able to.

mushii

That device is HDMI 1.4 which will be pretty limited from a 4K and bandwidth point of view.

PANORAMIC

Novice Member
I was just looking to use it to convert the DD/DTS using an hdmi into stereo for my amp.

I may well have the wrong idea about though, thanks :)

Top Bottom