1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical Output -Str-db1080

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Biggles, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help?

I've just got a new Sony Str-db1080 but I can't get the optical output to work unless its set to the Mini Disc function and I want to be able to record the radio off the TV onto my Mini Disc.

The manual seems just about useless unless I wanted to start a very small fire.

Any clues anyone?

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,947
    as the radio is an analogue source, i don't think you can output this to an optical out.

1080 owners may be able to confirm or deny this?

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sounds reasonable to me

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always the case with Sony amps (and most others). A rec-out/multiroom analogue output is useful here for dedicated recording of the tuner while you switch away.

Mike.

5. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have recorded the radio onto my mini disk using the optical out on my str db930 in the past. The only difference I can see is that I was using the amps in built tuner instead of using the radio from the tv input as in your case.

6. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dfield2000

Can you remember what you did?

What area within the settings?

7. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I believe I had the mini disk connected to the MD Optical Out and the amp set to Tuner.

I recorded Moloko live at Glastonbury from a Radio 1 broadcast a couple of years ago- the whole recording came over as one track on the mini disk so I used to edit facility to split it up into multiple tracks.

I've since had my mini disk stolen from the car (while it was parked in the Glastonbury car park this year !) so I can't set it up again to retest, but I'm pretty sure that the amp will always output whatever component is selected to the MD Optical Out channel.

When you plug the cable into the 'MD Out' at the amp end can you see the red light coming out of the other end ?

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,947
    shouldn't really look at this, as it can blind!!

After all, it is a mild powered laser!

9. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the warning MJN

I've been careful but it only lights up on the MD setting,

I'm wondering if I need to edit the settings per item to say output optical?

????

10. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I always had the cable connected to the MD Out but only plugged it into the Minidisk when I wanted to record something. When ever I leaned over the back of the telly to mess around with the leads I always noticed the red flashing light comming out of the end of the lead.

Haven't gone blind yet though....

11. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I supposed the amp might be rigged so that it doesn't route the signal from the TV source through to the MD Out as its not something that usually done. Can you connect the TV signal to another components input, like the Tape for example, and see if it records from that...?

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wondered about this too.... when I first got my DB1070.

Turns out that (it says in the manual) you can only record digitally off other *digital* sources - and as the tuner is an analogue source - you can't record it digitally, even with other sources such as MD or CD (using analogue interconnects).

My conclusion is that it is too expensive for a A-D converter just for that sole purpose.

Anyway... my amp at least has a second room out that you can use - I frequently pipe the radio back into my PC to mix with the game sound and then back to the amp (but watch out.. be careful you don't set the 2nd room out source to your current source.. not that I've been foolish enough to let that happen). Also.. I don't think you can 2nd Room Out something that is digital.

Hope that helps somewhat,

-TF

13. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the help!

I'v discovered a "split audio" feature that when set correctly turns the light on in the optical lead.

However.. the MD reports that there isn't a signal even though the light is coming out of the lead! ( yes it's plug in I just took it out to check)

I have a feeling Tainted fire is correct when he says you only get digital from a digital source.

Anyway I've got around it using normal analogue leads.

The sounds not bad. I'll just have to see what happens if I try and record a CD pluged in digitally

Thanks everyone

14. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's NOT possible to record analogue sources (ie. tape/radio etc.) via the digital optical/coaxial outputs :rolleyes:. For this you must use the phono outputs on the back of your amp.

When you make a recording from a digital source like CD the correct signal will be sent via the optical lead and you should be able to select a "digital recording" setting on your MD deck using a switch or a button on the front. In the case of a portable recorder the digital signal should be sensed automatically by the player.