Optical output on Xbox 360 ?

ash213

Standard Member
Reaction score
i have an optical cable and want to hook up the 360 to my surround sound system.

how do i do this ? i cant find the slot on the 360 to put the optical cable into .

The slot is on one of the cables that go into the back of your 360, somebody correct me if iam wrong but i think its the component part, there is a small little port for you to plug your opctical cable into. Hope this helps.

There's a little slot on the back of the block that you plug into the back of the 360.

It is on AV cable near the end that plugs in to the 360

avsoptical.jpg

It is on AV cable near the end that plugs in to the 360

avsoptical.jpg

Right....that cable is different to the one that came with my XBOX 360.

There is no optical out put on the part which goes into the xbox, why is this ?

do i need to buy a different cable, like the one in the pic ?

Is yours a core 360? They have a different cable i think which may not have the optical out.
Premiums all have one similar to the one pictured though

Is yours a core 360? They have a different cable i think which may not have the optical out.
Premiums all have one similar to the one pictured though

yeh mines core, maybe thats why i didnt get that cable.

what is the exact name for that cable so i can do a search for it ?

also where is the cheapest you know, off hand, where i can purchase it ?

cheers

Right....that cable is different to the one that came with my XBOX 360.

There is no optical out put on the part which goes into the xbox, why is this ?

do i need to buy a different cable, like the one in the pic ?

Did you buy the Core or the Premium Xbox 360?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the core came with the component av cable.

I bought a RGB scart cable for my 360 and that has the optical port on it as well. I know I use it.

Why it isnt on the console though is beyond me, it's stupid to have to have the right cable to connect another cable?:confused:

yeh mines core, maybe thats why i didnt get that cable.

what is the exact name for that cable so i can do a search for it ?

also where is the cheapest you know, off hand, where i can purchase it ?

cheers

Please dont tell me you are actually using the included Composite Cable :eek: as it provides the worst possible picture quality.

If you have an SDTV then you want to upgrade to the Official RGB Scart ASAP as it will greatly improve the picture quality plus it will have the optical output on the plug.

I bought a RGB scart cable for my 360 and that has the optical port on it as well. I know I use it.

Why it isnt on the console though is beyond me, it's stupid to have to have the right cable to connect another cable?:confused:

its not on the actual machine as it makes you buy another cable if you own a core machine, clever ploy by MS to make even more money and buy big Bill another house in the country..........

its not on the actual machine as it makes you buy another cable if you own a core machine, clever ploy by MS to make even more money and buy big Bill another house in the country..........

Who would actually want to stick with the composite cable though :rolleyes:

Should have included the Component/Composite Cable in all packs.

right can some one tell me the name of the cable i need, and possible link ?

cheers

I bought a premium but as I said I still had to buy a RGB scart as the cable it comes with is useless, same story when I bought my PS1... another £20 on top of the console price and I fall for it every time.:thumbsdow

i have a dell 2407 and it doesnt have any outputs for the red or white cables that come with the component cable so i tried the optical plugged into my pc which has a soundblaster xfi gamer in it with an optical out ,still no sound anybody help

I thought the optical ports on a PC were OUTPUTS not INPUTS

You prolly need a phono-to-mini-jack converter, about six quid from maplin

i have a dell 2407 and it doesnt have any outputs for the red or white cables that come with the component cable so i tried the optical plugged into my pc which has a soundblaster xfi gamer in it with an optical out ,still no sound anybody help

Your Sound Card needs and Optical IN and your PC needs to be able to decode external PCM or Dolby Digital audio feeds for this to work. I have no experience of this.

Does the 2407 have any audio inputs - if so you may just need a phono to 3.5mm jack converter - for analogue stereo?

Do you have active speakers - do they have a secondary audio input on the back (mine do) - if so a 3.5mm jack to phono converter may do for this instead.

one of these i take it 2 Phono to 3.5mm Stereo Adaptor
my speakers have no other inputs and im not sure about the pcm dolby thing
i thought i could just put the optical cable from the soundcard to the component lead

one of these i take it 2 Phono to 3.5mm Stereo Adaptor
my speakers have no other inputs and im not sure about the pcm dolby thing
i thought i could just put the optical cable from the soundcard to the component lead

If the optical port on your PC is optical out then it wont work.

You should be able to get sound by just using a phono to 3.5mm jack adapter like the one picture below...

jackadapter.jpg

yeah i going to pick up one of these now ,but will that mean i have to keep swopping leads in the back of the pc

yeah i going to pick up one of these now ,but will that mean i have to keep swopping leads in the back of the pc

I dont see why, just connect it to one of the audio inputs on your soundcard.

Please dont tell me you are actually using the included Composite Cable :eek: as it provides the worst possible picture quality.

If you have an SDTV then you want to upgrade to the Official RGB Scart ASAP as it will greatly improve the picture quality plus it will have the optical output on the plug.

Is this the one you get with the premium or a better one?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom