• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Optical Output on Sky Box

krspa9

Standard Member
I've just bought a surround sound system but only have a normal Sky box, can anyone tell me why Sky do not have optical outs on there normal Sky boxe's. I've found one Sony used to make on Ebay which has an optical out. Would I be OK to get one of these, would I receive DD5.1 through it?

Is there a genuine reason for this not being on normal boxes or is it just another way of sky getting you to upgrade??

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Please post this in the Sky/Sky+ section and you'll most likely get a sensible reply.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Starburst

Distinguished Member
I've just bought a surround sound system but only have a normal Sky box, can anyone tell me why Sky do not have optical outs on there normal Sky boxe's. I've found one Sony used to make on Ebay which has an optical out. Would I be OK to get one of these, would I receive DD5.1 through it?

Is there a genuine reason for this not being on normal boxes or is it just another way of sky getting you to upgrade??

The SONY does not support DD5.1 audio and hasn't been made for about 5 years.
SKY have/had a minimum spec required for their hardware, SONY for their own reasons added the optical output to the basic spec (it was part of their EU STB lineup). SKY for economic and strategic reasons didn't want the basic digibox to support digital audio output and DD audio didn't start to be broadcast until SKY+ came on the scene and no doubt that feature played a part in SKY's marketing of their new premium product.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom