1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical output from Sony MDS JB980

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Triponi, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Triponi

Triponi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Sony MDS JB80, and was wondering about the optical outputs. What exactly is transmitted over these? And can they be plugged into the input of another MiniDisc recorder (i.e. my portable NZ-R900) so as to do MiniDisc to MiniDisc recording? Or are they only for input into amps?

I have searched a number of FAQs and this forum, but I can't find the answer to that question.... Or this one:

NetMD -- Everything I have read talks about it being a transfer protocol between PC and MD. But what I want to know is: when a MiniDisc has been recorded using NetMD from an MP3 file, can this MiniDisc then be played in a non-NetMD player (i.e. my portable one again)?

I'd be regretful for some answers to these questions, thanks a lot,

Triponi

2. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The optical output transmits a digital signal, ie. pulses of 1's and 0's from the JB980 deck. It can be used for digital copying as you suggest, or for input into a digital amp.

In theory the optical output should be more faithful than an analogue signal, which needs to pass through a digital to analogue converter and back. In other words, it's a direct represenation of the digital information stored on the minidisc.

Note that due to SCMS recording via optical output is not possble from a second generation digital copy, eg. an MD copy of a CD made via a a digital connection. You can still record it in the analogue domain, though.

Your NetMD recording will be perfectly playable on your MZ-R900 - it's still in the ATRAC format. The only limitation applies to older, non MDLP compatible players, and only then if the recording is in LP2 or LP4.

I hope that answers your queries.

3. Triponi

Triponi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Kevin, it was very helpful.

I've read a little about SCMS now and was wondering if there is any way to get round it? Or if there are some proffesional decks with features comprable to the JB980 with a similar price, so as to strip the SCMS signal (hopeful :)?

Thanks,

Triponi.