Optical output from Sky or TV?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by trinitygirl, Aug 25, 2013.

1. trinitygirl

trinitygirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi... I have an Arcam AVR200 with limited optical inputs and HDMI, Apple TV, Sky Box and Blu-Ray.

I have just bought a new TV (Panasonic FT60) which I'd like to connect to a media server so would like to also connect optical out to amp.

As an aside, we also have an issue of lip sync problems through Sky on non-HD programmes.

So, I was wondering about connecting audio out from the TV to the amp and disconnecting it from Sky - so routing the sound from Sky via HDMI to TV and then to amp.

Does any one know of any issues with doing this? Any pros and cons?
    Thanks
    Trinitygirl

2. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Not many TV's route surround sound out of the TV audio outputs so you may lose out there...SkyHD has delay settings for the audio to reduce/remove lip sync problems - have you checked these settings?

3. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    My GT60 plasma happily routes surround over hdmi arc to my AV amp from its internal tuners and media players.
    Doubt it won't do the same for other hdmi inputs ... and the optical ought to carry the same.
    You'll have to 'suck it and see' for your model Panny TV, although you could ask Panasonic Customer Support for clarification?

NB Sky boxes do not all support DD surround over hdmi .. some have had firmware updates to do so - not too long ago none of the Sky boxes did : eek: Do check the menu options on yours.