Quantcast

Optical Out to 7.1 amp - only uses front speakers??

martind

I have connected my Abit IC7 mainboard (that has onboard 6 channel audio and S/PDIF output) to my Pioneer VSX V915 7.1 receiver (although i am only using 5.1 at the moment) using an optical cable.

I am unable to use the centre, subwoofer or surround speaker as they are greyed out in the 'Volume Control' panel, so everything i run through my PC, games, mp3's etc is only coming out of the front left and front right speakers!!

Off the top of my head i suspect i may need to change a setting in the Bios pages??

Any ideas.

Cheers

Martin

Rambles

Distinguished Member
This is how it works for me...

If feeding stereo via spdif to my AV amp, the amp receives stereo (front right and left only) but I usually set it to pro-logic so it emulates 5.1 sound from the stereo.

If I send it 5.1 sound (via a dvd for example) it detects the 5.1 digital signal and sends the correct sounds to all 6 channels.

Is this what you mean?

Last edited:

rmask

Novice Member
martind said:
I have connected my Abit IC7 mainboard (that has onboard 6 channel audio and S/PDIF output) to my Pioneer VSX V915 7.1 receiver (although i am only using 5.1 at the moment) using an optical cable.

I am unable to use the centre, subwoofer or surround speaker as they are greyed out in the 'Volume Control' panel, so everything i run through my PC, games, mp3's etc is only coming out of the front left and front right speakers!!
This is normal behavior (you'll get 5.1 working on digital content (eg. dd/dts encoded dvds))
If you want 5.1 on stereo sources or games, you need to purchase separate dolby(or dts) real time encoder card or buy another mobo with this feature integrated (look for "dts connect" (recommended as dts bitrate is 3times as high as dolbydigitals (so far only MSI 945Platinum mobo supports realtime dts encoding) or "dolby theatre/master studio" (plenty of 925/945/955 based higher end mobos from decent manufacturers (msi, abit, asus, gigabyte)

good luck

Top Bottom