Optical OUT on Pioneer VSX-21TXH

NetDoc

Novice Member
I have a Pioneer VSX-21TXH receiver for my TV setup and use standard speaker output. I just bought a device that connects to hearing aids by bluetooth, to amplify sound for hearing loss. The device has either a Coaxial Input or Optical Input. The Pioneer receiver has Coax in, but not out. In addition, it has a series of Optical In that need to be assigned, and one Optical Out. Even though I have gotten this device to work directly on 2 different LG TVs, I cannot get it to work with this receiver. The "yellow light," which indicates a sound signal is being received, never goes on. When I look at the trap doors on the back of the set, I don't see that bright red glow, but if I open them, I can glimpse a dim red glow. When plugged in (with a click), the cable only shows a dim red light at the other end, not the bright red light I expect with optical output.

So, I am concluding that the receiver doesn't have "optical out" turned on. I have read (skimmed, as it is pretty dense) the manual several times and cannot find anything on turning on or assigning sound to optical out. On the TVs, you need to tell it to have both a speaker signal + optical signal. But, I can't find anything like that in this manual.

Any thoughts?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest the optical output will be restricted as to what sources it can output. The source will more than likely also need to be S/PDIF in nature for the AV receiver to pass it through and out via the optical output?

Also note that your hearing aid may be unable to handle anything more than a 2 channel PCM source?

Last edited:

Budwiserjoe

Novice Member
I have the exact same issue.. I spent about two hours on the phone with the LG support agent and they finally said that you cannot use a hearing aid with this TV while using a reciever for the sound.. I am going to try one more option, (that one of the agents said will not work, but maybe?.) I will let you know if it works. LG OLED C-1 TV and Pioneer VSX-1120K Reciever. . Connect the hdmi from each source directly to thet TV. Then use the Toslink out of the TV into the pioneer Toslink TV/SAT connection. I am hoping that this will allow the pioneer to generate my sound and should activate the TOSLINK out on the pioneer so I can forward that signal to my hearing aid.

I do not understand why this TV disables the incoming sound from the HDMI coming from the pioneer but it definately does. PS i tested the same HDMI cable into several other TV and the sound is there. So for some reason Sharp is disableing the sound input when coming from a reciever

gibbsy

I have the exact same issue.. I spent about two hours on the phone with the LG support agent and they finally said that you cannot use a hearing aid with this TV while using a reciever for the sound.. I am going to try one more option, (that one of the agents said will not work, but maybe?.) I will let you know if it works. LG OLED C-1 TV and Pioneer VSX-1120K Reciever. . Connect the hdmi from each source directly to thet TV. Then use the Toslink out of the TV into the pioneer Toslink TV/SAT connection. I am hoping that this will allow the pioneer to generate my sound and should activate the TOSLINK out on the pioneer so I can forward that signal to my hearing aid.

I do not understand why this TV disables the incoming sound from the HDMI coming from the pioneer but it definately does. PS i tested the same HDMI cable into several other TV and the sound is there. So for some reason Sharp is disableing the sound input when coming from a reciever
Welcome to the Forum.

The Pioneer has a Zone 2 analogue output and if this can be used in conjunction with the main zone the it's more than possible to hook up a standalone headphone amp to the Pioneer. This would facilitate the use of headphones in lieu of a hearing aid. Obviously I don't know how your hearing is but it could be a possible solution.

Would not be wasted money as most modern AV amps will allow the use of Zone 2.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom