Optical or not?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Glenn Uk, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Glenn Uk

Glenn Uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dear All

I have just ordered a new LCD TV, Sony 32 inch s range and when i reconnect and move my surround sound, DVD and V+ box around i was looking to buy some half decent cables (well at least ones that are not the cheapest)

I am going to connect the V+ to the TV using HDMI cable, the DVD to the TV using component (RGB) but when i want to connect the surround sound to the DVD is an optical cable likely to make any significant difference when compared with a set of phone to phone leads?

I wont be spending a fortune on the cables so expect to spend around the £20 or so for my interconnects. If it makes any difference the DVD is the JVC DR10M and the surround sound is a Yamaha Cinema Station AV-1.

Thanks

Glenn

2. lfcmonkey

lfcmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Simple answer.... Yes. Optical will give you full 5.1 surround and you will be suprised how big a difference it makes. Phono is 2 channels so you're not even getting 5.1 sound. Make sure your connection goes straight from your v+ box to your amp and from your dvd player to the amp. So you need 2 optical leads mate. :cool:

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    For 5.1 you need optical or Co-ax (this could be your Phono to Phono) but do not mix up with stereo phono which is a pair of phono leads.

4. Glenn Uk

Glenn Uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats an interesting comment re the 5.1.

I had a closer look at the back of my amp last night. unfortunately it appears that the optical connection is a CD output and not an input which is annoying.

Anyway, this brings the question to the fore, is it impossible for the amp to produce true 5.1 from stereo inputs?

The reason for asking is that the system is a 5.1 system in the sense it has five satellite speakers plus an active sub-woofer and purports to give various modes of surround sound.

Secondly i presume that when this Yamaha amp was bought, that not all Videos/DVDs/TVs/Sky Boxes/V+ boxes would have had an optical out but would have had L/R phono outputs. (I have had this amp for around 5-6 years not quite sure how long now). So it would not only affect this unit, at least i think this would be the case.

So curious to know if the optical lead is essential for true 5.1 or whether there are other mechanisms at play?

Glenn

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Yes, it is impossible to produce 'true' 5.1, but many amps can apply a fake surround effect to the stereo signal but this is not as good as getting the sound field as the movie maker intended.