Optical or Coaxial

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by willykatie, May 1, 2007.

?
  1. Optical

75.0%
  2. Coaxial

25.0%
  1. willykatie

willykatie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Just wondering which one gives the best sound? Somebody told me that coaxial gives better than optical.
    Please help

2. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I think you need another option on your poll : Identical (assuming they're carrying the same stream). I'll vote for that one.

Brian

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    They are both digital and therefore should not make any difference, it is just 1's and 0's in a data stream.

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    The hifi shops I asked this at all said Coaxial was better. But reading around the internet everywhere said they were identical.

However I will say Coaxial due to other reasons. Simply I have bought two Optical Cables and they have a (very easy habit) of just popping out of the AV receiver when ever either is moved.

I have clicked them in but they dont seem too secure and do easily just jump out.

However this problem doesn't occur with coaxial due to it being a different type of connection.

Secondly if you have a receiver with only 2/3 Optical and 2/3 Coaxial. I have found that all consoles use Optical to connect to your sound device.

Therefore if you have a Ps2. PS3, Xbox360 you have no spare opticals left for your DVD player or HD-DVD player if you chose to get one.

Therefore I figured it would be much better to save those needed Optical connections to connect your DVD player to Coaxial if it allows it.

5. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Optical has also picked up a bad reputation through the whole Sky+ and Sky HD Dolby Digital connection not working on certain brands of amplifier rigmarole. Not a hardware issue - if Sky connected to amps through coaxial it still wouldn't work, but optical cables have taken a bit of a reputation hit because of it.

6. WATTS

WATTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Found this which may help:

Optical vs. Coaxial Digital Connections

Q: Between optical and coaxial, which connection is going to give the better sound quality, and why?

A: " Better" is relative. In a harsh environment, optical may have advantages. By "harsh" I mean:

Cable runs over 10ft
    Cable runs in close proximity to video and power cords emanating RF noise
    In most cases, the above conditions would result in negligible impacts on the signal quality since the signal being transmitted (PCM or bitstream) is sampled at low frequencies (44-48KHz) and thus are more immune to noise impairments.

However, using optical cables can minimize the potential of the above mentioned problems and thus may help to reduce common mode noise. The only negative about using optical cables is the connection is not always as secure as a coax one, and can sometimes be compromised easily by moving components frequently. In addition, optical cables are usually more expensive than coax ones.

Bottom Line: Using optical cables for your digital connections may help minimize susceptibility of coupling RF noise into the line and reduce loss for long runs (10 feet or more). However, optical cables tend to be more costly and sensitive to abrupt external forces, which may potentially weaken the connection over time. In any event, either connection method should yield excellent and comparable results in most cases.

http://www.audioholics.com/educatio...stions/optical-vs-coaxial-digital-connections

Personally i just like the idea of the funky red laser like beam! Its futuristic! :D