Optical or Coaxial?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by guyb, Jun 21, 2001.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Which is the best digital connection form a DVD Player to an AV Amp - Optical or Coaxial?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a lot of peeps say that the coax connection is better, personnaly i cant hear much of a difference, although most amps seem to cater for the optical connection more than the coax

best to hear for yourself, if u have the chance.

3. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guy,

while true, most people prefer a coaxial connection (possibly due to the additional double conversion from / to light / electrical) the quality of the interconnect will need to be much higher.

Assuming good optical characteristics and good light emission and reception at the start and end of the cable, the only real degradation in quality from a cheap optical interconnect should be breakage or flexing of the glass/plastic due to bending round corners.

Coaxial connections on the other hand are subject to RF interference and possibly inductance and capacitance. This could possibly affect the bitstream being transmitted - though the exact effect may be difficult to determine until the bitstream is destroyed and error correction fails to produce a meaningful input of data.

My advice - cheap optical cables appear to work ok, but with coax connections you get what you pay for, to a point!!

I'm prepared to be shot down in flames here guys - I remember the last debate!!!!

Regards,
    Matt

4. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not very scientific but my £20 coax cable (Ecosse producer)sounds better than my £20 optical cable. The A/V processor I use allows me to switch inputs via the remote so it is easy to conduct a blind test and the coax always wins