Optical or coaxial best?

Jason56d

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a bit of info please. Always thought that optical was the best way to transfer audio from DVD player to my old Videologic Digitheatre DTS (to be replacing when funds and Mrs permits). As a new Panasonic PX70 is imminent, was going to be replacing my Pioneer DV-454 with a cheap new upscaling player to go with it. Have noticed though that new models from Panny/ Pioneer and Toshiba etc have all dropped the optical input. Why is that? Is coaxial the best way to go or are manufacturers cutting corners as well as costs?

Most people tend to follow the same rule - coaxial for shorter lengths and optical for longer.

Thanks, but...... what distances are we talking. My dvd player is about 3 feet away from sub which has both of the inputs. So you think coaxial would not be worse than my optical?:confused:

Well.....first of all your not connecting your DVD player to a Sub. ;)
But for a 1m length i would always use coaxial,given the choice. :)

I would personally only favour optical at lengths of 5m or more.

Thanks again, but with the Digitheatre ALL the connections including speakers are to the sub. The centre speaker acts as the amp as well. (Was a bargain 5 years ago and great sound as well!). So coaxial is the way to go!:smashin:

Quality-wise they are the same because they're sending the same digital SPDIF signal. The difference is one is sent optically, the other sends electronically. Always makes me laugh how people claim to hear a difference when it's the same freakin' digital signal.

I was told Coaxial is the best, as told to me by an engineer at Rotel, he said Optical took longer to convert?? and would always recommed Coaxial, so thats what I've always done.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom