1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optical or coaxial... any difference

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by martian1, Jan 18, 2004.

1. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I want to hook a dac to a cd or dvd player, i have tried optical [pretty cheep lead!] which is ok except with my dvd player i get a slight crackle through my speakers when i power up, i also get this when i stop a cd playing. With my cd player i don't get this problem, but my dvd player has a better transport and i would prefer to use it. What might cause this and would i be better off switching to digital coaxial? which would be the better connection.

Thanks

2. jaffacake71

jaffacake71
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital coaxial is regarded as superior, because optical means a process of transfer from audio signal to light, then back, which ultimately can lead to a loss of quality, whereas coaxial doesn't suffer this.For long distances however (several metres) optical is regarded better

3. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I have now tried both, little differance really. I will swap for a good coaxial eventually, thinking about using the power buy link a guy is making quality cables very competatively! Any feedback from buyers of this coaxial cable?

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Coax can suffer from ground loop problems which also degrades audio quality.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Same question, same theoretical pro's and con's.

Fact: It takes very,very special ears and very,very special equipment for anything other than psychological differences to become apparent. Assuming everything is working as it should.

98.7% of people will be able to detect no audible difference whatsoever. 95.3% of statistics are made up on the spur of the moment.