Optical or Coax?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by RossC, Apr 14, 2004.

1. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What's the cable luminaries opinion on connections between DVD (DV27) and Amp (HK5550)?

Optical (good quality like QED) or Coax of similar quality (Marks for example)?

All thoughts appreciated!

Thanks

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    When done correctly both work well. For 'noisey' equipment I prefer to use optical (VDH / QED / CHORD) for others I use coax 'like' the powerbuys stuff. Why don't I use optical all the time? Well I have broken too many optical cables by misshandling so I use them only when necessary. Why don't I use coax all the time, well the optical isolation can be 'useful'. I think the cables 'like' the power buys coax are hard to beat for value and are pretty sturdy.

As with all of these things the devil is in the detail, what ever you do buy a quality cable fit for purpose. I prefer the thicker optical cables, preferabley made from well polished glass, and 75 ohm coax (quality one) with 75 ohm crimp plugs, stick to that and you will enjoy you fine kit.

3. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Beekeeper - so no real preference assuming high quality in either case, it's more of a durability/isolation issue.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    You won't go wrong with Marks, it is basically what I use, it just does what it says