1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical or Analogue for CD from DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by themmings, May 16, 2003.

1. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've heard that a superior sound is generated for CD only listening (from DVD) when analogue phono leads are run from the player to the amp, has anyone any comments on this?

I'm also told that you can still keep your coax cable plugged in for the DVD soundtracks. If so, how does the DVD player know what cable to send the soundtrack through?

Timbo:)

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since the Arcam is fairly good for CD playback, use a pair of analogue phono's to the Denon for CD's.

The DVD players sends both, so switch from DVD digital to CD analogue depending what you're listening to.

3. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you sir - I'll give it a go.

Timbo:)

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    This is not something that is universally true one way or the other - it depends on the player and amp/receiver/processor in question. In your case I don't think it will help much because you're using a sub/sat speaker system. That means that, even if the 3803 has an analogue bypass (I can't remember if it does) you'd probably still have to do an A/D/A conversion on the signal or you won't get any bass below 80Hz - the bass management will be done digitally.

If the 3803 does have an analogue bypass, and if you were using reasonably full-range speakers for the L&R fronts, then you could take advantage of the rather nice DACs in the DV88+. But as it is I doubt it'll help. Give it a whirl, though, you never know.

5. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting input Nick - thanks.

Like you say - need to experiment. I wonder if Richer Sounds still do their cable loan scheme...

6. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd heard this too and did some experimenting and I really noticed a difference in the sound when playing CDs through analogue rather than through digital output, the sound just seemed a lot clearer, not to say that the digital was bad, not sure if its because both my bits of kit are Arcam?

Also Richer Sounds definately do still do their cable loan service.

7. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Gilesm.

I fancy checking out the QED Silver Spiral interconnect and I know they [Richer] do it - along with a few others.

Tim

8. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    tullamore ... sorry to sound a bit high and mighty here ... but the reason that RS do their cable loan is so that you are encouraged to buy from them ... it's not very fair (even to large corporations) to take advantage of their services if you have no intention of buying from them. If lots of people start doing it then services like this will begin to dry up.

Vikki

10. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not 'high & mighty' at all - it's a point of view - but lets look at this - does a business decision i.e. cable loaning morally force you to purchase from them at a higher price. They don't lend cables out of altruism. I'd be surprised if they are even charged by the cable suppliers for the stock. I mean do you feel morally obliged to buy a car after a test drive from a garage if another garage down the road or a supplier on the web is offering the same at half price? I imagine the RS policy is similar to that of free sweets, 'amusing' pamphlets and lollypops. All good PR at minimal cost to them. It gets you instore and gives the staff a chance to sell up. Nothing wrong with that. Makes perfect business sense. But why should I feel obliged to buy into it?

11. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One place where RS lose any moral ground is the fact they advertise themselves as unbeatable on price, so if they won't price match elsewhere who's taking advantage of whom?

By the way, they are supposed to pricematch/beat any "Which" acredited website.

Cheers,
    Cal.