1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical input information needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by johnywh, Mar 16, 2005.

1. johnywh

johnywh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope this is the correct place for a question - could not find any answer with a first search:

I have an amplifier capable of DTS/DD with coax/optical input and i want to connet the audio of an external DVD player.
    The question is how to connect the audio output of the DVD to my amp in order to have the correct audio format - that can vary from MONO to STEREO to 5.1 or even DTS.
    Is the optical interface plug and play? Is the interface capable to tranfer any type of signal - i suppose yes.
    Is the amp capable to understand the signal type and decode it correct? Is there any specific protocol used for that?
    My amp is SONY DAV D800 a compact DVD/amp/receiver system but i suppose the answer will be the same more or less for any system.
    Thank you
    John

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, digital inputs should be plug and play. The data stream contains flags that tell the decoder how to handle the data.

3. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just link the two with an optical cable. It will transfer whatever signal is passed to it by the dvd player, be it 2-channel, 5.1 etc. The amp will decode it although you may need to select the output you require or else the amp may use DD prologic, DTS Neo6 or whatever. Most of this stuff is usually stated in the manual. If all else fails, try reading it.

4. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find, being a novice, manuals do nothing but confuse even more. Advice on these forums seems to explain much better. In laymans terms!

God bless you all, and may the force be with the forum!! :clap: :D

5. johnywh

johnywh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for the answers, i doubted about how clever is my system, i will try and see. The manual does not say anything (what a surpsise!). The only reference is in a drawing saying that "this port is optical input" - no info if this input is for audio or video or what to connect there.
    BTY, searching in the net i found out that this interface is named S/PIDF or IEC-958 and the FO cable used is toslink.
    thank you again
    John

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The one other thing to note is to make sure the DVD player is set to send the information via digital as bitstream rather than PCM