optical input for creative 5.1 speakers?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by goodall, May 2, 2007.

1. goodall

goodall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hi
    i dont know if this is in the right section, sorry if it isn't.
    in my bedroom i have some creative T6100 speakers, I was wondering if it was possible to use the optical audio output from my xbox with these and get 5.1 surround? Is it possible to use a soundcard with optical input and then output via the 3 mini jacks? also is it possible to connect my TV to these using a scart plug with red and white audio out leads?

thanks in advance
    stephen

2. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi goodall.

You know the best way to get a solution to what You are after is to buy an AV Receiver.

If You are based in the UK, get Yerself over to Richer Sounds or Super-Fi.

You don't have to spend a great deal of money. BTW how much if any could You go-to?

It's simple because the receiver acts as a "hub" were all the AV gear in Your set-up will plumb straight into.

As for the Creative speakers, do they have any digital ins? If so then You are laffin. No need to go and buy a Home Cinema Speaker Package. If not then.....

You'll need a HCSP^^:)

3. goodall

goodall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't really have much money, i'm still at college waiting to go to uni and i dont have a job lol. could maybe find £50 if i needed to so i don't think that would get me much. how much would a reciever that has optical input, input for TV, DVD, freeview box cost? or do you put the dvd etc into the tv then the sound from TV into reciever? My xbox has component cables and an optical adapter by the way, so component or HDMI out would be good.

the creative speakers dont have digital inputs, just 3x3.5mm jacks that plug into PC soundcard, i think they can be used with a 3.5mm jack to Red and White converter thing to use with 6 channel outputs from DVD that use standard phono sockets though.

cheers for your help :)
    stephen

4. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi goodall.

Right matey basically a Receiver that will have the connections You're after will cost around £300 to £500. You could propably get one a little cheaper if You check out Richer Sounds, They have a bargain basement kind of thing. Don't be deterred bye that, You could be very surprised at what is on offer. If You want a really good one that can do all the video up-converting stuff, well it's gonna cost more. I know that I may be wrong as new models are produced monthly nowadays, if not weekly...:D

Bide Your time, suffer a little. It will be worth it in the end...

Mind You, You could always ask around here, AV Forums guys are more than knowlegable and many of them may have last seasons tech, if You get me, they want rid of.. Hey it don't hurt to ask...Check out if there are any bargains.
    And there is always ebay.. Though to be honest I shudder at buying Tech stuff from there.. It's upto You though.

Best of luck goodall.. And more to the point..Best of luck a Uni!!!:smashin:...

Let Us know what You decide on..

5. marchudman

marchudman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    It may be possible to connect your xbox to your soundcard (if it has an optical connection) and then pass the sound back through the 3 separate speaker connections. Your will need to look at your soundcard and manual to see if this is possible - some can do.

It might be slightly cheaper to buy a new soundcard that comes with separate input console, like this one hear:

http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14065&nav=0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-Fatal1ty-FPS/dp/B000BEY4E8

You can see from the picture it has an optical input. This is a top of the range model, have a look around and you might be able to pick up a slightly older model on ebay for £50ish.

If by chance you have a Soundblaster x-fi already you can get a console upgrade kit for £50 here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Creative-Soun...QcategoryZ75519QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. goodall

goodall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think thats what i had in mind, i would need a new soundcard because i am just using my motherboard at the moment. Would the cheap cards with optical connections be any good or not?

thanks for encouragement about uni blue73 :smashin:
    and thanks for the advice blue73 and marchudman :thumbsup: