Optical in socket problem

jeffcl

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an Onkyo SR876 and have two optical inputs on it. When moving the furniture about one of the leads disconnected itself.
Despite trying, I cant get the lead to stay in now, tried two different cables - the same problem, tried the detached cable into the other input - stays in OK. I can only assume I have damaged the socket.
Anyone else had a problem like this ? How much to repair ?
Perhaps its better to but a converter and put it in the Coax (I have 3 of those)

I've had this before - I'm not sure if it was because of an impact I gave the socket like you might have done, from general wear & tear, or it was always like it, but anyway the socket wasn't very good at holding onto cables.

The bad news is that as optical and coaxial connections work on different technologies (optical and electrical signals), you can't easily convert to coax either. It certainly needs to be a powered box. (I say not easily because it means another box. They can be had for £10-ish though)
More bad news... I had a quick look and can't see replacement optical ports.

As a first option, I'd try taping the optical cable to the damaged port. Worked for me.
If not, then maybe an optical switch, so you can connect multiple optical devices to the one good optical port?
Or the optical to coaxial converter.

Yes, if the input is still working OK when you hold the cable in place I’d find some way of fixing it in. Blu-tack may be a better option than tape, if you have any of that lying around.

Yes, if the input is still working OK when you hold the cable in place I’d find some way of fixing it in. Blu-tack may be a better option than tape, if you have any of that lying around.
The TOSLink connector uses highly fragile flexible plastic retainers.

If you broke the cable connector, you'll need to replace the whole cable (groan).

More likely it's the fragile little grip in the socket that is designed to break at the least excuse. The socket can be replaced if you have basic skills. It costs about £1 plus postage and packaging from any electronics bulk supplier, such as uk.rs-online.com.

After looking at the back of the Onkyo with a floodlight and magnifying glass I found that it was the protective flap that had been pushed into the socket ! I removed it with tweezers and its now fine.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom